Mount Vernon Community School District Reviews

Everyone is really involved in getting you to where you need to be. All the teachers and staff want to see you be the best you can be.
I love going to Mount Vernon High School because the staff is so supportive of whatever you do. I am a very active person, I am involved in a lot of sports, but I am also involved in a lot of fine arts as well. At Mount Vernon, you don't have to pick one or the other, the staff and coaches will allow you to do both, even at the same time. That is why I love the school so much; I don't have to pretend to be someone I am not.
I love that students have the option of taking very rigorous corse loads, if they so choose. Despite some issues with a few classes, I’ve enjoyed my learning experience the vast majority of the time.
Start Your Review of Mount Vernon Community School District
It was adequate, not having gone to any other high school I don't have much to compare it to. However, I can say without any doubt that it is one of the absolute least diverse schools you can find. It's got an overwhelming amount of white people. While for the most part that never becomes a blinding problem, there have been incidents where people have carved racial slurs into lockers or spread rumors about exchange students from predominantly muslim countries.
Elementary School special education for behavior challenges/disabilities​ needs​ major improvement. Principal is inflexible, unethical and rude. ALL teachers in the general education rooms are fantastic and quality of education is great.
Middle school special education for behavior challenges​/disabilities is much better. Middle and High School education is impressively above average in academics and extracurricular activities.
This school is very safe and pretty well-rounded. It doesn't solely focus on sports, academics, or fine arts, even though it may seem like it. The only problem with our school is that it is very sheltered. There is no diversity here so we don't experience a worldly view in high school like many other schools do.
To start, a large majority of the teachers in school genuinely care about their student, but there are also some whose distaste and prejudice is beyond obvious. Fortunately, those teachers are mainly in extracurricular classes. In many of the classes, students aren't required to pay attention to succeed. In the science classes, students are able to print the notes off online. They commonly do so before hand, and proceed to talk (loudly) while the rest of the class is trying to take notes on the teachers presentation. The social environment is largely negative. Students are racist, homophobic, and sexist. You can hear such remarks openly in the hallways, and one of the first gay students to come out was assaulted over twitter by several individuals. It isn't a place where someone can be themselves, unless they want to face the judgment of the rest of the school.
Mount Vernon is a smaller school, so I was able to be an individual. My teachers supported and helped me. I was able to participate in many activities (sports, theater, music). I will always appreciate my previous school experience.
Mount Vernon Community Schools offer students the opportunity to explore a wide range of extracurricular activities while receiving an excellent education. Class sizes are small allowing students one on one support from their teachers. Community support in all extracurriculars provides excellent programs for the students. The small size allows students the chance to be involved in activities that they may not in a larger school.The principal is active in all areas and knows each student by name. The overall pride the students have for the school they attend speaks volumes.