Henrico County Public Schools Reviews

While I am grateful for all the opportunities and resources afforded to me while I attended Deep Run High School, due to my experiences at Moody Middle School and at Maggie Walker Governor's School from which I transferred to Deep Run, I noticed a severe disparity in resources between west end Henrico high schools and east end high schools. The facilities at east end high schools were significantly of lower quality in areas where the income levels were lower, which I witnessed from visiting other schools to see friends or participate in sports.
Deep Run's teachers also seemed very invested in hand-holding the students, as if they were too afraid to let them think critically or figure things out on their own. The attitude of AP and Honors teachers that I had conveyed to me that they were more concerned with making sure everyone passed and didn't give the teachers any trouble as opposed to actually teaching them something.
Henrico County Public Schools, from the West End perspective, is very clean cut and offers a good education for students. College preparedness is very good with multiple AP classes offered to students and the level of coursework at the college prep level helps students understand materials given to them at a more accommodating pace. The Henrico School System is very safe and takes many precautions to ensure the safety of the staff and students. Sports offered in Henrico are well funded and there are plenty opportunities to be involved with Henrico athletics. One complaint about Henrico County is that arts and arts-related programs are poorly or not funded at all. The arts programs in Henrico do fairly well to not receive an appropriate amount of funding.
All the schools in the district have exceptional educators, curriculum, extracurriculars, and communities.
Start Your Review of Henrico County Public Schools
I have enjoyed most of my almost 13 years of Henrico county schooling experience. I was blessed to live in the West End of Henrico as my school had a great arts program and many leadership opportunities through various clubs. The facilities were also great as my high school was recently built and my elementary school was renovated recently before I began attending. . I have had a great experience in Henrico county because I live in the West End. The East End schools do not have nearly the amount of funding and opportunities as the West End schools. My experience has been great, but the newer families moving in should understand the overcrowding problems that have recently budded as well as the great difference between East End and West End Henrico.
Gym classes are highly unsupervised in Henrico. This should change as students have many bad experiences in this unsupervised environment.
My experience was great! During my years in Henrico County Schools I was able to make new friends and grow into the young adult I am today.
Henrico County Public Schools has become more focused on testing and the ability of a student to test rather than the knowledge and growth a student needs in order to improve themselves and the world around them to move forward as a society. There are many teachers under-qualified and the teachers that improve students and actually care for them are stuck at a school for years wasting away their abilities to really help students improve. The county needs to re-evaluate who is willing to help students improve and who is not.
I have really enjoyed my time at Freeman! The Leadership Center is an amazing academic opportunity and I recommend it to anyone with a mind for questions. I think Freeman could work on embracing the diversity of the school- it is a privilege, but is sometimes ignored.
One of the best county for schools. The teachers are really helpful and they want you to succeed, the counselors will help you with any questions that you have and the environment of the school is really good.
I love the organization of Henrico County Public Schools. They really have great communication between the parents. I really like how they use email, print, phone and the website to relay information. Communication is key to any relationship and I take my child’s education seriously. Not only do they keep you informed of what’s going on at your child’s school but also what is going on in the district as a whole as well as things that may benefit you in the community. I also like that my child is receiving a well-rounded education. I think Henrico was a good move for my family.
I like the up to date technology, qualified teachers and the opportunities students get to experience great things.
The teachers were passionate, the administrative effective and bus drivers amazing. But the schools fail to really involve people. I saw more students focused on going to work than school. They saw no options to better theirselves, just the debts college leaves you with. When i graduated, they just implemented an economics class but really, all the content is taught in a family living course, making the material redundent. I believe everyone should take a family living class that covers the basics of cooking, budgeting, applying to jobs and incorperate college know how. This will be better beneficial to students who want to go to college and those who are already working to be out on their own.
It is not very open to knew ideas and the school board does not take criticism very well. The more diverse and poorer schools do not get the same attention the richer schools get.
I've been a Henrico parent for over 10 years. Overall I've had an excellent experience. A few bumps here and there, but nothing major.
There are few teachers that care about the students learning. The remaining clearly care about getting their paycheck. I wasn't a fan of any of my instructor's learning style, so I mostly studied alone and taught myself.
I have been a student in Henrico County for the past 10, going on 11 years and overall, my experience so far was great! I plan for the next 4 to be just as awesome.
I have been a student at Henrico County my entire life, and I have enjoyed the experience. For the most part, I have had good teachers that have taught me a lot. The programs at Henrico County are good, too. I have been in the IB program since middle school, and it has helped me in terms of college readiness. Though there is not much diversity in the IB program, I do not think that it is the county's fault, or anyone's fault in fact. The school does everything they can to make sure that we feel safe.
Start Your Review of Henrico County Public Schools
Henrico county school system is just like any other ordinary school system. That’s what they should change, they should’ve ablr to learn the curriculum more hands on. Bit it’s a very nice school setting, in a safe location, and the staff is amazing.
My experience in Henrico County Public Schools has been utterly great since k-12. All teachers make sure you get a great education while enrolled. Wouldn't choose any other school district! Highly recommended
I liked the size of the classrooms. Also there was a chance to go to technical schools and participate in engineering. There was a chance to take AP classes to earn credits for college or IB programs as well. The teachers seemed to care.