Cowden-Herrick Jr/Sr High School is a public school located in Cowden, IL. It has 225 students in grades PK, 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 5% of students are at least proficient in math and 12% in reading.
Cowden-Herrick Jr/Sr High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B19 Students
- B+12 Students
- B+9 Students
- B8 Students
- B5 Students
- B-4 Students
- B3 Students
- B3 Students
- A+3 Students
- A-2 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.Take our survey
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.Take our survey
Schools like Cowden-Herrick Jr/Sr High School
- BPana Senior High School
- Pana Community Unit School District No. 8, IL
- 27 reviews
- B-Ramsey High School
- Ramsey Community Unit School District No. 204, IL
- 17 reviews
- B-St. Elmo Senior High School
- St. Elmo Community Unit School District No. 202, IL
- 7 reviews
- BBeecher City Junior/Senior High School
- Beecher City Community Unit School District No. 20, IL
- 13 reviews
Cowden-Herrick Jr/Sr High School Reviews
My experience with Cowden Herrick High School is one of indifference but also enjoyable. Both of my parents and most of my aunts and uncles have all gone here. So have most of my cousins. I feel like this is my home in a way because most of my family is here. The education on the other hand is sub-pare. We don't have much money so some things are broke and out dated but we are getting better. In time a feel that this school will improve tremendously. However; our clubs are great; particularly FFA. We are a rural community so the student see agriculture every single day. Most students have a farmer in the family or knows of one. I have been a FFA chapter officer for 3 years. i feel that FFA has helped my a lot in building leadership skills, personal growth, and in finding a career that best suits me. Being in FFA made my high school career great. My high schools FFA chapter is a great one. I'm so happy to be a part of it.
The school is super small with very little opportunities. We don't even have any ap classes. That alone majorly hurts the students to be taught by someone who is trying to teach themselves as we go along. Though I do like most of my teachers very much and I know they try hard, however there are some teachers that shouldn't be teaching. One is particular is so bad at teaching that I have no idea how they are even allowed to teach the class. They are constantly going off of topic and when a student complains to the principal or something the teacher will give a huge packet without even going over how to do it, plus i don't think they've graded a single assignment because they are too lazy. Although that is bad I still like most of my peers and the faculty, well most of them, because they do try hard to give us the best opportunities that they can give us with limited funding.
I have liked my high school experience, I love high school it has been some of my best memories. I just wish my school had more to offer, I do not feel like I'm as ready for college as I should be. I have met some great people and been able to know them better through sports.