Cottonwood High School is an above average, public school located in Salt Lake City, UT. It has 1,768 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 25 to 1. According to state test scores, 28% of students are at least proficient in math and 28% in reading.
Cottonwood High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A547 Students
- B+313 Students
- C306 Students
- C+232 Students
- B+185 Students
- A+159 Students
- C+152 Students
- B138 Students
- C+133 Students
- B-94 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.32 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.32 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.38 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.44 responses
Cottonwood High School Reviews
With any high school there are pros and cons, but I love Cottonwood! So many of my teachers genuinely care about how I am feeling about material and are consistently willing to help me if I need help, while also pushing me further than I thought I could go! From my own experience, I know the AP teachers are fantastic, and I couldn’t respect our principal Terri Roylance more. There is a subtle drug culture and frequent fights, but I have never felt threatened or afraid to come to school. Our boundaries encompass all types of incomes and all types of people, and I feel like in some ways that will separate people, but it also brings a sort of rich culture that you don’t see in other East-side salt lake valley schools.
I love Cottonwood. Despite my immense stress-load, I found that my teachers genuinely care about my success. For example, I had an AP Language teacher last year whole would have us schedule appointments with her so she could get to know us as individuals, and help us improve as students. This helped me so much! Additionally, I love the students at Cottonwood. I am very involved in sports, music, and academic clubs which have allowed me to get to know so many students who have now become my close friends!
Cottonwood is a great school for many reasons. They provide a variety of many different classes, as well as they have a very diverse group of students they welcome in. The boundary for Cottonwood expands to Taylorsville where they bus in students. They offer programs, and clubs to the many diverse groups within the school. Many teachers choose to work at Cottonwood because of the diversity here. The building itself actually has 2 different schools within it. The other school within it is called Ames. Cottonwood students and Ames students can have classes together, but no academic classes are shared between the students. They have an amazing auditorium, and have wonderful fine arts classes. The sports teams tend to suffer such as the football and basketball team. The baseball team has done well in the past. Overall it is a good school.