Cornwall Central High School is a highly rated, public school located in New Windsor, NY. It has 1,074 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 97% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Cornwall Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A83 Students
- A+77 Students
- B+73 Students
- A-64 Students
- A+57 Students
- B+53 Students
- A-51 Students
- A+47 Students
- B45 Students
- A44 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.20 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 69 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.40 responses
Schools like Cornwall Central High School
- AHendrick Hudson High School
- Hendrick Hudson Central School District, NY
- 156 reviews
- AHaldane High School
- Haldane Central School District, NY
- 45 reviews
- ALakeland High School
- Lakeland Central School District, NY
- PK, 9-12
- 162 reviews
- ASpackenkill High School
- Spackenkill Union Free School District, NY
- 134 reviews
Cornwall Central High School Reviews
Cornwall Central High School is an amazing institution run by an exceptional staff. It is clear that all of the teachers and administrators truly want all of the students to succeed as best they can. That being said, there are also a number of clear issues. First the selection of classes is too small. There are a number of AP classes (computer science, Spanish, calculus BC, etc.) that I feel should be offered so that students have more opportunities to get credit while also learning with an instructor. There is also a clear bias with funding that needs to be addressed. My junior year a physics teacher had to teach using a projector that looked like it was from the 80s, but the football team with 40 kids on it gets 2 new sets of uniforms a year. Overall it's a good school, but it could be a lot better.
Cornwall Central High School is a rather classic high school. There's a big fight every now and then. There are cliques, but not much is ever going to change that aspect of high school. There are some spectacular teachers who go above and beyond for their students, and some who simply read off of the board. We have "internships" for seniors, where students can sign up to help a teacher during one of their free periods. The student-teacher relationships can be strong if students want them to be. That being said, our guidance department is not very strong, unless you are lucky enough to get randomly assigned the counselor I have. Juniors aren't pushed to look for colleges they'd be interested in, which is an issue if you don't have parents or older siblings encouraging you. The course selection is also minimal, with very little classes to take that aren't the ones required by the state and the AP versions of them.
A safe, competitive, and nurturing academic environment. Cornwall does have a tendency to put it's focus on the Athletics. However they have begun to notice it and are working to balance it. Art department could use more funding. They offer numerous events and clubs to students. Drama always puts on wonderful shows. Artist put up gallery shows. All departments and subjects are strong and supported. Teachers and all staff overall are kind and listen to students. The school focus's on anti drug and anti alcohol usage. I hope in the future they expand and focus on other subjects such as teen pregnancy, healthy relationships, sexual assault/consent, and LGTBQ+. A open minded and engaging environment. The town is wonderful to grow up in and the school properly prepares students for college. I am greatful to have grown up in Cornwall Central School District.