Cornwall Central High School is a highly rated, public school located in New Windsor, NY. It has 1,074 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 97% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Cornwall Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-80 Students
- A+75 Students
- B70 Students
- A-60 Students
- A+50 Students
- A-50 Students
- B+48 Students
- B44 Students
- A+42 Students
- A-42 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 60 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.32 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.38 responses
Schools like Cornwall Central High School
- AHendrick Hudson High School
- Hendrick Hudson Central School District, NY
- 153 reviews
- AHaldane High School
- Haldane Central School District, NY
- 44 reviews
- ALakeland High School
- Lakeland Central School District, NY
- PK, 9-12
- 162 reviews
- ASpackenkill High School
- Spackenkill Union Free School District, NY
- 133 reviews
Cornwall Central High School Reviews
Cornwall Central High School is a rather classic high school. There's a big fight every now and then. There are cliques, but not much is ever going to change that aspect of high school. There are some spectacular teachers who go above and beyond for their students, and some who simply read off of the board. We have "internships" for seniors, where students can sign up to help a teacher during one of their free periods. The student-teacher relationships can be strong if students want them to be. That being said, our guidance department is not very strong, unless you are lucky enough to get randomly assigned the counselor I have. Juniors aren't pushed to look for colleges they'd be interested in, which is an issue if you don't have parents or older siblings encouraging you. The course selection is also minimal, with very little classes to take that aren't the ones required by the state and the AP versions of them.
A safe, competitive, and nurturing academic environment. Cornwall does have a tendency to put it's focus on the Athletics. However they have begun to notice it and are working to balance it. Art department could use more funding. They offer numerous events and clubs to students. Drama always puts on wonderful shows. Artist put up gallery shows. All departments and subjects are strong and supported. Teachers and all staff overall are kind and listen to students. The school focus's on anti drug and anti alcohol usage. I hope in the future they expand and focus on other subjects such as teen pregnancy, healthy relationships, sexual assault/consent, and LGTBQ+. A open minded and engaging environment. The town is wonderful to grow up in and the school properly prepares students for college. I am greatful to have grown up in Cornwall Central School District.
Cornwall was a really nice school to go to. We have really good school spirit and a beautiful school. However, several of the teachers were just poor teachers. I have to admit there is a handful of exceptional ones and a large sum of mediocre, but there is are quite a few teachers that I hate to say are older and probably don’t want to change anything about what they have been doing. Several new teachers to the school have made strides in their departments, while the old ones still hand out worksheets that were made on a type writer. During the “evaluations” the school likes to call them (more like performances) teacher put on the show of a lifetime for the 45 minutes they have to teach. These days are planned so teachers know ahead of time and trust me they are well rehearsed. I wish students were able to evaluate their teachers. I know some teachers already do that but I wish it was mandated by the district.