Comsewogue High School is a highly rated, public school located in Port Jefferson Sta, NY. It has 1,238 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 96% of students are at least proficient in math and 97% in reading.
Comsewogue High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-149 Students
- C89 Students
- A+60 Students
- A-59 Students
- A+42 Students
- B+42 Students
- B+39 Students
- B38 Students
- A+37 Students
- B+37 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.30 responses
Schools like Comsewogue High School
- AIslip High School
- Islip Union Free School District, NY
- 170 reviews
- A-Connetquot High School
- Connetquot Central School District, NY
- 258 reviews
- AJohn H. Glenn High School
- Elwood Union Free School District, NY
- 107 reviews
- A-Sachem High School East
- Sachem Central School District, NY
- 463 reviews
Comsewogue High School Reviews
The school lacks a large academic drive that other schools have. There is a narrow range of classes offered, and academic clubs are limited. Also, there are only eight periods in a day, with an optional ninth period for extra help. The food in the cafeteria is nothing special, but the environment makes it better. School spirit in Comsewogue is huge, and it helps unify all the kids. The faculty are kind and caring, the students stand up for one another, and the school lets students have fun. I'll never regret attending this school because Comsewogue knows how to create a wonderful school atmosphere.
All they do is emphasize how they are accredited, but they do not seem to have much to show for it. The administration focuses on trying to relate to the students rather than listening to them. I once spent 4 hours of my school day fighting to lessen the punishment for those who participated in the national walk out for March for Our Lives, I had other concerns but those were not solved. Their security is laughable considering students sneak in and out during the school day all the time, and their refusal to up their security is because they want to keep a "kumbaya" type of image with the community. They hire teachers that aren't passionate about what they do, and overlook the ones that are by making them teach subjects they don't specialize in or underpay them. The students have been clearly spoiled by parents, teachers, and administration all their lives. Many students in the AP program clearly don't deserve to be there. Otherwise it's pretty okay.
Overall the school is great, I had so many great teachers, the staff was always very friendly and the principle is great! The school really likes to create a warm and welcoming community and the encourage school pride. The school has great athletic programs and a variety of clubs that serve the community. My only problem with the school was the guidance counselors. Mine was never available when I needed her and for all of high school when I needed my schedule fixed I would have to go to the assistant principle. I also think they should offer more support to seniors when it comes to the college decision process, there is one woman there who is extremely nice and helpful but unfortunately she is only one person. I think guidance counselors should work more closely with students, especially during college decision time. Besides that the school is really nice.