COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
We invite you to learn more about how we are continuing our work, supporting our students and families, and remaining connecting as a community throughout this unprecedented time. Learn More
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA+
Commonwealth School is a private co-ed high school for grades 9-12 dedicated to adventurous intellectual and artistic exploration—where creativity and individuality flourish. Commonwealth students take full advantage of Boston's resources to pursue scholarly research, annual independent projects, and community service. Commonwealth’s academic curriculum is rooted in rigorous analysis, focused attention, discussion, and inquiry.
Faculty work closely with students to explore their personal interests, develop problem-solving skills, and boost their confidence. College-level electives include multivariable calculus, wave physics, data structures and algorithms, modern East Asian history, and Russian thought and literature.
With a student body of 140, Commonwealth students come from over 40 communities around Boston. They discover their passions, test themselves with new challenges, and grow into thoughtful and inquisitive young adults who thrive and excel in college, career, and life.
Commonwealth School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+27 Students
- A+20 Students
- A+18 Students
- A+17 Students
- A+14 Students
- A+13 Students
- A+13 Students
- A13 Students
- A+12 Students
- A+12 Students
Culture & Safety
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.8 responses
Clubs & Activities
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Commonwealth School Reviews
The low teacher-student ratio makes it easy to schedule a meeting with any teacher to discuss any issues and concerns. The administration is very supportive who had worked very hard to create my son’s schedule due to course change this fall, while they were so busy with preparing the school for the hybrid learning mode. They amazingly turned the in-person learning to fully remote during the spring break.
Commonwealth school offers authentic education. You'll see how fantastic students development themselves to be intellectual, responsible and sensible young people.
Caring faculty, collaborative environment, first rate academics and importantly a culture that teaches the students to take academic risk and to push way beyond the memorization/regurgitation of many high school experiences. My daughter grew tremendously as a person as she was pushed to be the best she could be but in a supportive, encouraging way. She was VERY well prepared for a rigorous college curriculum and is light years ahead of many of her fellow classmates in her ability/poise to tackle hard things in college. Not the school for everyone but for students looking for the challenge without the cut throat atmosphere, Commonwealth is a gem!