grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C+
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A minus
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade B+
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Columbus High School is a public school located in Columbus, NE. It has 1,292 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 49% of students are at least proficient in math and 39% in reading.
Columbus High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
No data available
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus255 Students
- grade B189 Students
- grade B+188 Students
- grade C+142 Students
- grade C+140 Students
- grade B+74 Students
- grade A minus67 Students
- grade C+65 Students
- grade B53 Students
- grade B50 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 79 responses
- Football Games19%
- Extracurricular Activities15%
- Spirit Week14%
- Wrestling meets9%
- Pep rallies8%
- Band competions6%
grade A minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 22 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 37 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade A minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$16,118 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 33 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 33 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 33 responses
Schools like Columbus High School
- grade B minusLakeview High School
- Lakeview Community Schools, NE
- Rating 3.75 out of 5 32 reviews
- grade CSchuyler Central High School
- Schuyler Community Schools, NE
- Rating 3.32 out of 5 22 reviews
- grade BShelby - Rising City High School
- Shelby-Rising City Public Schools, NE
- Rating 3.29 out of 5 14 reviews
Columbus High School Reviews
Rating 3.83 out of 5 218 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Columbus High School provides amazing opportunities for the students interested in stem. With after school programs like Skills USA and Robotics Club, students can dive into the Stem department to gain great experience and create bonds with teachers who know their way around the business. The music program is another area in which I have had good experiences. The staff drives to be on the edge of music and music competition every year. The after school programs for choir kids are limited but the all boys team known as bakers dozen is a tight knit group that feels like a second family. The only downside to the school is that due to a high student count, some situations feel very helpless and the counselors don't have the best relationships with the students. It does however expose students to a lot of different social situations to prepare them for the upcoming journeys in life.
Columbus High School had a good selection of teachers and a select few administrators that truly wanted students to succeed and did the most to make sure kids are prepared after high school. On the other hand, CHS takes funding away from the fine arts programs yet keeps funding school sports that do not have good seasons. They obviously played favorites with sports and students that have rich parents that donate to the school. CHS does not have an outstanding graduation rate. They seem to come up with new ideas to improve certain functions about the school but end up making it more inconvenient for all of the students and teachers.
Columbus High school is quite an average public school. There is really no big wow factor about it. All of the activities are mediocre along with the education and the school lunches. The guidance counselors and administration are less than helpful. The teachers, however, are what make CHS shine. All of the teachers are very involved in the student's education and want to see them succeed. The academics are not particularly challenging. Drugs run rampant through the school as well. Hald of the kids are either actively under the influence during school or using during school hours whether it be marijuana, alcohol or tobacco products. The school lunches claim to be healthy also and they are not really. Lunches are also very expensive at 2.50 per meal if you do not qualify for free or reduced lunch. There is also no bus system which makes getting your children to school very inconvenient.