Columbia High School is a highly rated, public school located in East Greenbush, NY. It has 1,227 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Columbia High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+73 Students
- B+51 Students
- A50 Students
- A-45 Students
- B43 Students
- A+38 Students
- A+37 Students
- A+36 Students
- A36 Students
- A+34 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.21 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like Columbia High School
- A-Clayton A. Bouton High School
- Voorheesville Central School District, NY
- 38 reviews
- A-Maple Hill High School
- Schodack Central School District, NY
- 33 reviews
- AGuilderland High School
- Guilderland Central School District, NY
- 227 reviews
- B-Berlin High School
- Berlin Central School District, NY
- 33 reviews
Columbia High School Reviews
The teachers are all very kind and helpful especially if you don't understand a topic. They will stay after school to talk about class work and they also grade pretty fairly. Sometimes it's hard to get through a class if some of the students are being obnoxious, but that rarely happens in classes at the honors level which is nice. The teachers can effectively lead the class for the most part, but I wish they were sometimes stricter with students that clearly don't care about the class material. There also should be more technology in the classroom! I think access to learning resources through technology would get the majority of kids at all academic levels interested in their school work.
I like going to Columbia because there are so many opportunities to make new friends, whether it be through the classroom, sports, or clubs. Coming into freshman year, I knew nobody from my school, but by the arrival of the following summer I had made so many friends just through study groups for the core subjects, lunch, art, and clubs like Student Council. Just when I thought I had met everyone in my grade, I joined the tennis team as a sophomore and met people that weren't in any of my classes or my friend groups from freshman year. It was nice to bond with people over a sport and make an entirely new group of friends to go with to football games. Now as a rising junior, I'm excited to return to school and give life to even more friendships! I would choose to go here if I could do it all over again because nothing is as precious as the uplifting and inspiring friendships I have made with peers, teachers, and other school supporters.
Great classes and teachers but honestly way too much work! I alway do 100% of my homework to my best ability, but I also play sports, participate in clubs, have a volunteering job, run a little business through selling my old clothes, and I also like to go to football games, dances, movies with my friends and shopping! I care a lot about how I present myself so I like to look nice for school and therefore I wake up in the morning a little bit earlier. I also live at the edge of the school district and take the longest bus ride to school so my only question is...what is sleep? I'm convinced high school has turned me into a vampire because I literally do not sleep during the school year. I'm not a procrastinator, in fact I'm the biggest planner out there and I'm also a perfectionist. I will typically stay up until 1:00 a.m. on many school nights just to finish my work since I always have a full schedule for my school day and I insanely sign up for all Honors and AP classes. I always hand in my assignments on time but it would be nice if teachers didn't all assign huge projects at the same time. I am always overwhelmed and get really stressed about school but the sense of accomplishment once I've finished is probably the greatest feeling ever. I know most students are not like me because one time the girl sitting in front of me at the PSAT said, "Omg, I've never not copied on a test...I'm definitely gonna fail," but I have no problem being different, being driven and striving for the best.