Cocke County High School is a public school located in Newport, TN. It has 1,185 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 62% of students are at least proficient in math and 29% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B132 Students
- A-107 Students
- C+94 Students
- B-62 Students
- C-42 Students
- B34 Students
- A+32 Students
- B+26 Students
- B26 Students
- B-19 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 21 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.16 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Cocke County High School Reviews
I had a well rounded experience by choosing to participate in community service activities, sports, and music. It kept me focused and driven to succeed!
Cocke County High School was unique compared to a lot of other high schools I've been to. Many students there excelled in vocational and agricultural classes due to the school being located in a rural area, and placed in many CTE state competitions. The school has even won first place multiple times in state ROTC competitions. What I loved the most about this school is being in their choir. To me it was one of the best choirs around. Some of the teachers at this school have helped me grow and become the person I am now. This is truly a great school.
At Cocke County High School, the community there is very connected and takes part in a large amount of service projects to aid the community outside of school. However, many things about the school is very poor, including but not limited to: teachers and their ability, administration leadership and involvement, school building quality and cleanliness, and outdated resources. I would love to see these and many other factors to improve, but the school district is in a very improvised county (80% of population is under the poverty line), and therefore is very difficult for the school to gain improvements. I would recommended Cocke County High School to those who want a very connected and caring school community but not to those increased in college preparedness.