Coal Ridge High School is a public, online school located in New Castle, CO. It has 527 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 12% in reading.
Coal Ridge High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+97 Students
- A-65 Students
- A-58 Students
- C+52 Students
- B38 Students
- A-32 Students
- B-29 Students
- A-27 Students
- B+22 Students
- B-19 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 16 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.13 responses
Coal Ridge High School Reviews
The advanced academic classes are difficult but provide a good pay off. However, the salary in Western Colorado for teachers is too low and the cost of living is too high for teachers and coaches to stay long. Most have to take second jobs and rarely last longer than two years. This past year, I had three different teachers in my physics class, which made it hard to learn the subject, considering each teacher taught the same unit for their first month. The athletic programs aren't great. There are a few good teams, like boys basketball, track, and cheerleading, but my football team is pretty bad. I was a cheerleader, however, and know how the team and coach operate. The atmosphere is drama filled, when I was on the team, we were publicly humiliated in front of other students, and the coach hosts practices on Sundays, which is against CHSAA rule. My book club is the best, though and the parents in the PTA and Booster Club are very helpful.
The small town atmosphere is great, after previously being bullied and failing 2 classes at my previous school, here I have a current 4.0 GPA and i havent even witnessed any bulling, it is truly a great school with great classmates and great teachers.
Coal Ridge High School is where I made many of the friends I have today. The faculty always has the student's best interest at heart, and they work with you weekly to ensure you're prepared for whatever you may be interested in after you graduate. I played soccer, track, and basketball in high school, and they were all tons of fun. They are at the top of their league in each of those sports, and have amazing coaches across the boards.