Cleveland High School is a highly rated, public school located in Portland, OR. It has 1,600 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 45% of students are at least proficient in math and 73% in reading.
Cleveland High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-204 Students
- A-192 Students
- B155 Students
- B-73 Students
- A+63 Students
- B+53 Students
- A51 Students
- A50 Students
- A-40 Students
- A+39 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.45 responses
Cleveland High School Reviews
I think Cleveland's IB program is it's greatest highlight! I feel academically and mentally prepared for college thanks to the many IB classes I've taken. However, CHS doesn't really have the "traditional" high school vibe. For example, there is little school spirit, low dance and assembly attendance, and the building isn't decorative to show spirit. It is a predominately white student population with predominately white teachers. Administration lately has been passive about making change and solving issues. There are pros and cons to the school.
In terms of academics and intellectual challenge, I found Cleveland High School to be average. That being said, I did find many wonderful teachers who enriched my educational experience, and were very supportive and encouraging of me. You get out of it what you put into it, and I suggest focusing on the community building aspect!
Cleveland High School is a school that really cares about giving opportunities to its students. The IB diploma program is a way that many students enhance academic challenge, and the program makes it very accessible to any level of interest by allowing individual classes, partial diplomas, and full diplomas. The teacher are also highly committed to extra curricular activities from speech and debate to sports to drama, there's really something for everyone that has been well developed and worked on by staff. Unfortunately, being in Portland, OR, a very white city, the diversity levels are very poor-- especially in IB and advanced classes.