Clarkstown South Senior High School is a highly rated, public school located in West Nyack, NY. It has 1,386 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Clarkstown South Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-129 Students
- A+99 Students
- A-93 Students
- C84 Students
- A+81 Students
- A+69 Students
- A64 Students
- A+62 Students
- A-59 Students
- B55 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 39 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Schools like Clarkstown South Senior High School
- A+Clarkstown North Senior High School
- Clarkstown Central School District, NY
- 139 reviews
- AHendrick Hudson High School
- Hendrick Hudson Central School District, NY
- 160 reviews
- A+Northern Valley Regional High School Demarest
- Northern Valley Regional High School District, NJ
- 172 reviews
- AJames I. O'Neill High School
- Highland Falls Central School District, NY
- 94 reviews
Clarkstown South Senior High School Reviews
South High School is probably one of the highlights of my life. It offers great resources and has amazing teachers who will help you thrive in school and out. The school offers great extracurricular activities and academics. My tip would be to be involved in school! However, I would suggest for the school to start an AP Psychology course for students. I believe that it will help students learn more about psychology and be passionate about it. The facilities are clean, sometimes.
The best thing about Clarkstown South is the teachers. Most of them genuinely care about what their students and are passionate about what they are teaching, especially the English teachers. I think the main issue for students is the overwhelming workload. Another issue here is that students don't truly get punished for anything. Many students do not feel safe here because of this. It feels like this school puts all its money towards sports and leaves everything else behind. The substitute teachers are underappreciated and disrespected. The biggest problem here is the administrations inability to communicate information with others, which often leads to unnecessary confusion and chaos. The best thing about South is the people. I have made a lot of great friends here and learned a lot from my experiences with them and my favorite teachers I've had.
An apprehensive, brace-faced ninth grader walked into South unaware of just how transformative her years here would be. I value my education most and am so fortunate to learn here; however, I would enjoy a larger variety of offered classes. As an economics major, I found my passion through my microeconomics class- economics makes the seemingly unpredictable manageable, just as South has done for me as a person. I would have loved to further my studies with macroeconomics, but South does not offer this course. Although courses are limited, it never hindered my growth because interdisciplinary learning mixed economics into several of my other classes- like research projects in Environmental or the study of different economic systems in government. Extracurricular opportunities completed my experience- like my school's endless support for my club that promotes fair treatment of those with mental disabilities. I couldn't be happier with the person that South shaped me into.