Chatham High School is a top rated, public school located in Chatham, NJ. It has 1,202 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 56% of students are at least proficient in math and 78% in reading.
Chatham High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+82 Students
- A+80 Students
- A+80 Students
- A71 Students
- A+69 Students
- A+68 Students
- A68 Students
- A56 Students
- A+55 Students
- A+52 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.16 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.16 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 37 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Schools like Chatham High School
- A+Millburn Senior High School
- Millburn Township Schools, NJ
- 166 reviews
- A+Ridge High School
- Bernards Township School District, NJ
- 200 reviews
- A+Livingston Senior High School
- Livingston Public Schools, NJ
- 315 reviews
- A+Westfield Senior High School
- Westfield Public Schools, NJ
- 235 reviews
Chatham High School Reviews
I am very thankful for everything that Chatham High School has done for me. I have had great experiences in their track and cross country programs. I have also had many teachers who have taught me much much more than just necessary curriculum. My freshman year English teacher helped me fall in love with reading and writing with how devoted he was to the subject. Many teachers have experience in the fields they are teaching in. The computer science teacher has experience coding for Bell Labs. The college and career counselor was once an admissions counselor at Ithaca College. Another great thing about Chatham High School is that the principal has an open door policy. CHS prioritizes reducing stress among their students. One way this was done throughout my high school career was the switch from midterms and finals to cumulative tests, which are spread out to 3 times per year. Also, the school often has homework free breaks during holidays.
Chatham High School gives me many opportunities to excel in my academics and extra curriculars like sports and clubs. I have had the chance to choose a variety of electives ranging from different arts to academic electives such as marketing strategy esstials. CHS also gives students the choice to take a numerous amount of AP classes. The teachers are extremely helpful and will take time out of their breaks to help students with anything they are struggling in. Although there is not as much diversity at this school as others, as a minority student I still feel welcomed and appreciated by the community. Overall, Chatham High School is a well rounded facility and throughout my high school career I have had an amazing experience from the start.
Chatham High School consistently ranks as a top school, but let's face it, are the rich kids really smarter or better athletes? There is a lot of stress in this school (much of it parent-driven), and most (not all) kids who take any advanced classes have tutors to go with it. Most athletes also have private coaching. If your child fits the Chatham mold they may have a great experience. The school is too small for the student body, kids eat in the gyms with tarps down, folding tables, and on the bleachers. The teachers are average. Some teachers blame the entire class if they don't understand something. There is zero diversity here. There are so little students of color that everyone knows who they are. Students drive BMWs and other luxury cars to school. It's just not a school that fosters confidence or individuality.