Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesC-
- Health & SafetyC
- Resources & FacilitiesC-
Charleston High School is a public school located in Charleston, IL. It has 811 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 42% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B157 Students
- B89 Students
- A+73 Students
- B+55 Students
- B-50 Students
- B34 Students
- B+22 Students
- B-21 Students
- A21 Students
- A-20 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 35 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Schools like Charleston High School
- B-Mattoon High School
- Mattoon Community Unit School District No. 2, IL
- 146 reviews
- BCasey-Westfield Jr-Sr High School
- Casey-Westfield Community Unit School District #C-4, IL
- 39 reviews
- B-Kansas High School
- Kansas Community Unit School District No. 3, IL
- 19 reviews
- C+Oakland High School
- Oakland Community Unit School District No. 5, IL
- 16 reviews
Charleston High School Reviews
My experience at Charleston High School was very good because it is a mid-sized town that does not overwhelm you as a student. You have the ability to meet and talk to people on a regular basis to create future friends for years to come. Along with the local feel of everybody being familiar with each other, which is a good thing, there seemed to be a lot of favoritism going on within the sporting department of the school based on who certain kids' parents were within the community.
Charleston High School is falling apart, mainly due to lack of funding. The building is in disrepair- not enough to impede daily learning, but noticeable. The teachers for the most part do alright, and there are some amazing instructors in the building. However the school does heavily focus on athletics. Communication between the administration and students/parents is minimal.
It’s a pretty good school. Only problem I have is the leaking ceilings when it rains. It seems like such a simple fix, but it keeps happening. Granted the building is old, it seems to me it’s not their top priority for a comfortable environment. Overall, not too big of a problem unless it’s absolutely pouring down.