Central High School is an above average, public school located in Rapid City, SD. It has 1,871 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 69% in reading.
Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+232 Students
- B-208 Students
- B193 Students
- A-136 Students
- B-78 Students
- A-60 Students
- A+58 Students
- A-46 Students
- B-46 Students
- A-44 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.33 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.33 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.53 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.57 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.57 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.57 responses
Central High School Reviews
My experience was good throughout high school at Rapid City Central. One of my favorite things about Central was the clicks were turned around. I was a star athlete at Central, but instead of the "cool kids" being the athletes more support went to the band and theater kids which in my opinion gives a important view on how Central runs things. Everyone would be at the plays and/or band concerts and in return sporting events would get the support right back when it came time for their games. Another thing I loved about Central was the "once a cobbler, always a cobbler" quote. This saying had meaning when it was said. Everyone there was proud of where they came from and could carry that experience on throughout life.
During my time at Central High School, I found nearly everything that I needed in order to be ready to make the transition to college. They have a small section of the building dedicated to college readiness for students. It was also very easy to navigate where my classes were, and every teacher or instructor I had was always willing to assist me with assignments and were always clear and concise with giving instructions. It's enough to say that, I miss it dearly.
Central has a great fine arts department. However, other aspects need to be changed. Minimal AP classes are offered, which decreases the likelihood of college readiness. While some teachers go above and beyond, others seem to put in minimal effort. I find the students to be unmotivated and worried more about their friend group than learning content. The school environment as a whole needs an adjustment.