Central High School is a public school located in Knoxville, TN. It has 1,113 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 4% of students are at least proficient in math and 39% in reading.
Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-167 Students
- B76 Students
- B-74 Students
- B56 Students
- B-45 Students
- B41 Students
- B34 Students
- A+28 Students
- B-25 Students
- C+25 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.14 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.15 responses
Central High School Reviews
My son is the fourth generation of my family to attend Central. He is an advanced student with a 4.3 GPA in all AP and Honors classes. Before his freshman year, he was approached by STEM Academy and tested and was accepted by the IB Program at West High School. In the end, we chose Central due to the academic programs offered with a great selection of Honors, AP and Dual-Enrollment classes offered. In addition, he was very active in band and Centrals band program has a very long and honored tradition. As he starts to enter his Junior year, we could not have been happier with our choice. Very close community with great community spirit and parental involvement.
I grew up hearing stories about Central, and all of them were not very good. Throughout, my time attending I have found that most of those bad stories are not true. My high school experience has been wonderful, and I do not think it would have been as good as it has been had I attended another school. I had lots of opportunities to explore my interests through rigorous academics and ample extracurricular choices. Also, the student-teacher and student-student relationships at Central are very healthy and beneficial to all who are involved. One relationship I have not seen to be as strong, though, is the student-administration relationship, and without a good understanding between those two groups it is hard to feel everything is going its best. Despite this short-coming, my school, Central High School, has mas my wonderful high school experience possible, so it is pretty good.
Central High School was an average experience for me. I was never academically challenged while in school, but there is a strong faculty dedicated to being present for their students. This school focuses on their issues regarding low graduation rates and poor test scores, but students above proficiency often fall into the cracks.