Carbondale Community High School is a highly rated, public school located in Carbondale, IL. It has 987 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 44% in reading.
1301 E Walnut St
Carbondale, IL 62901
Carbondale Community High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B153 Students
- A+103 Students
- C+60 Students
- A+53 Students
- B+48 Students
- A-41 Students
- B35 Students
- A+34 Students
- A+34 Students
- A-33 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.21 responses
Schools like Carbondale Community High School
- A-Carterville High School
- Carterville Community Unit School District No. 5, IL
- 110 reviews
- BHerrin High School
- Herrin Community Unit School District No. 4, IL
- 96 reviews
- BMurphysboro High School
- Murphysboro Community Unit School District No. 186, IL
- 73 reviews
- B+Cobden High School
- Cobden Unit School District No. 17, IL
- 25 reviews
Carbondale Community High School Reviews
CCHS has great programs for students of all interests. Truly a place that has something for everyone, CCHS has a diverse student and faculty population. Whether you are a high achieving student that is looking for AP courses or someone who needs help catching up to grade level, CCHS has it for you!
I personally enjoyed high school, and I think CCHS was adamant about having all students enjoy it as well. CCHS was a very diverse and beautiful campus; it’s a pleasure for anyone to experience that. There were multiple things and reasons that I truly loved Carbondale, and then there were things that I didn’t care for as much. Cchs had a pretty strict dress code and they weren’t always the most reasonable and fair with the rules and regulations. We ran into multiple altercations with student dress code and how to effectively distribute across fairly the entire campus. Unfortunately, the dress code wasn’t altered in my four years, but has now been changed for the current students.
I have learned a lot over the 4 years of being here. My school offers many different courses that other schools might not have, like a zoology course that I'm taking this year, and a variety tech and science classes. There are so many different clubs offered, that anyone can find something that they enjoy and get involved. I also really love the faculty at our school. While walking down the hall, I am almost always greeted with a "good morning" or a smile. The teachers really do want to see their students succeed and offer help before and after school, or just whenever asked. Although I am excited to start something new, I am really going to miss Carbondale Community High School. It makes school a place I enjoy being, and a positive environment for me.