Caravel Academy Reviews

I like that Caravel Academy has welcoming and friendly students and staff. I would like Caravel to be more lenient on it's dress code policy.
My experience at Caravel was mediocre at best. Caravel has a longstanding reputation of putting its athletic image at the forefront. This has caused a lag in its academic game, which severely lacks the rigor that I have seen at other high schools. In addition, there is a lack of diversity, particularly among its staff. There are very few teachers of color, and inclusivity and representation seems to be a major issue at this school. Lastly, the academic resources are poor. I felt that my guidance counselor did not do a good job with guiding me with college apps. That being said, I always felt safe and was able to make a great group of friends at the school.
As one of the top students of my class, I have had extraordinary educational experiences at Caravel. Every teacher is very passionate and wants to see his or her students succeed. Some of the students, like sports recruits, can be unsafe, but overall I think Caravel tries to foster a supportive environment. The staff tries their best to maintain certain standards, though. I feel prepared for life outside of high school because of the way my teachers act and what is expected of us. Administration values athletics much more than arts. We have no auditorium, and our music department receives almost nothing. I am in drumline and had to spend $100 on drumheads. But, as a private k-12 school, Caravel is one big family. Everyone knows each other. Despite some jokes carried since lower school, the students have very tightly knit friendships from being surrounded by the same kids all the time. I am confident in the abilities of my teachers and how they are preparing me for the future.
Start Your Review of Caravel Academy
My experience at Caravel Academy is a very positive one. I have learned many things when it comes to being a tight-knit community and working together. From the challenging academics to the spirited school events, Caravel Academy has allowed me to grow into an independent and resourceful student.
Caravel Academy is a school that feels like another home. Its small so everyone is close knit, students have teachers that care about them as humans not as performance grades. The athletics are great and sports teams feel like a second family.
The rules and standards sometimes are very extra but hopefully the outcome of being here will show in my future education in college.
I have had a very good experience at Caravel Academy. I attended CA since fourth grade and I will be graduation this year (2020). Most teachers here want to see you succeed rather than giving out bad grades; however, grades must be earned and will not simply be given out to everyone. Some teachers are older and have become set in their ways and are easily frustrated, but most teachers are pretty helpful. Most students here are very nice, but it can be very difficult to make new friends considering that my graduating class only had around 90 people. Sports are fun to attend, and I have watched several basketball state championship games and football playoff games. Caravel does recruit for these sports, so games are fun to watch but it is not easy to get on the teams (tryouts are competitive but not as competitive as public schools from what I understand). The campus is beautiful: well-maintained, clean, and small and compact but not over-crowded.
Caravel is a challenging school with top tier academics and athletics. It helps prepare students for their futures in college better than many surrounding schools.
Good academic system and sports teams. Was an overall safe environment. Time management was definitely needed to be successful (I played sports from middle school until I graduated).
Caravel Academy is a school that is proud of their athletics, but really they are only concerned with the popular sports. The more popular the sport, the more funding the team receives. The music program is little to nonexistent, as well as theater. The students are extremely cliquey, so if your son or daughter does not play a "popular" sport, they will most likely not fit in. Quite a few math teachers struggle with teaching their students so that the students can fully understand the content. Considering school spirit, there is none. There are teachers who even complain to the students about their issues with Caravel. The pep rallys are terrible, and the students hardly show up to sports games, plays, or musical performances.
Caravel Academy has been an absolute savior to my seven year old. We recently moved to Newark, DE and the choices were slim as to the public school system. I had found out about Caravel Academy form my neighbor who raved about the teachers and friendly staff. I quickly reached out to them and after completing and passing required tests, my daughter Kayla was accepted into the First Grade. Caravel Academy has also given me some Tuition Assistance which I am totally grateful. We are now eagerly waiting for the second grade to start. It's great to see my daughter actually excited about starting school again.
I spent the last 6 years of school at Caravel and graduated from there last month. The school challenges students to be their best and to be successful. They put a lot of emphasis on academics, sports and community service to help the students to be well-rounded.
Love Caravel! Such a family atmosphere. Great teachers and wonderful music program! Go Buccaneers! Can't believe it's graduation time already.
Rigorous Academics and Athletics. Wonderful atmosphere. Excellent at preparing students for college.
The academics are very rigorous for all age levels and improve one's English skills dramatically when entering junior and senior year. I would like to see, however, better assistance for students with any disabilities. A teacher will be notified (with a doctor's note) if there is a student who has any, but they do not often listen to that notification; hence the student's efforts will not be reflected in the grades they are given.
Caravel Professes to hold students to a high level of Academic Integrity, which I agree they do. However they do not hold their teachers to the same level of integrity. Apparently, after meeting with an administrator, Teachers are not required to respond to parent emails and if they do they are not accountable for anything they say in their email. A commitment made by a teacher, according to the Headmaster, is not enforceable and does not require said teacher, to actually follow through with their end of the agreement
The education at Caravel Academy is great. It really gets you prepared for college. The teachers want to see the students thrive and succeed and they are a big help as well.
Start Your Review of Caravel Academy
Caravel Academy is a good school for those who like small environments with personal connections to both students and teachers. It has a healthy amount of sports and activities for students to participate in and a warm, friendly setting for students to thrive in and create a family with. The biggest complaint I have with this school is that it can lack in a few of its sports, activities, and classes. For example, there is no option to take AP Economics, participate in crew, or compete against other schools for tennis.
Caravel Academy is very structured and organized. They offer a variety of sports, clubs, extracurricular activities and is small and centered. Every teacher knows your name and is genuinely interested in your education.
I would like to see Caravel Academy incorporate more AP classes into their schedule. Also, some of the athletic fields could be in better shape. Some of the teachers are old and should have retired thus making the classes less enjoyable and to be avoided.