California Area Senior High School
- COAL CENTER, PA
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C
- Health & Safetygrade B minus
- Administrationgrade C minus
- Sportsgrade C+
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
California Area Senior High School is a public school located in COAL CENTER, PA. It has 276 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 62% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
California Area Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B minus75 Students
- grade A52 Students
- grade A+47 Students
- grade A minus31 Students
- grade A minus29 Students
- grade B minus23 Students
- grade B minus20 Students
- grade B20 Students
- grade C16 Students
- grade B15 Students
View Homes Near California Area Senior High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade B minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 9 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 14 responses
- Football games29%
- Track meets21%
- The Musical14%
- Cross country7%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 8 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$15,311 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 13 responses
Schools like California Area Senior High School
- grade C+Waynesburg Central High School
- Central Greene School District, PA
- Rating 3.77 out of 5 81 reviews
- grade BElizabeth Forward Senior High School
- Elizabeth Forward School District, PA
- Rating 3.34 out of 5 95 reviews
- grade C+Bentworth Senior High School
- Bentworth School District, PA
- Rating 3.51 out of 5 65 reviews
- grade CFrazier High School
- Frazier School District, PA
- Rating 3.68 out of 5 104 reviews
California Area Senior High School Reviews
Rating 3.72 out of 5 68 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
My experience at California Area Senior High School has been pretty good so far. The academics are average, and the school is pretty small. I wish there was a little more diversity in the building. The teachers are pretty good. I am involved in a bunch of clubs and activities. The school is definitely very safe. I feel as if this school is average in preparing me for college. The music program and sports programs are amazing. I wish there were more classes for music and the arts. I wish this school would be better at preparing students for college. There are some amazing teachers that work at doing so, but I still feel unprepared for college. Other than that, I enjoy the environment at California Area Senior High School. The school is not perfect, but it has provided me with many opportunities.
California Senior High School is a fairly okay school. The most critical aspect of the school is its growing debts. These debts hinder extra activities and other classes that may prove to be beneficial to students in the future. Also, the communication between parents, students, and faculty, proves to be poor and confusing at times. On a positive note, the teachers are nice, and always try to mold students into future successors--but that is difficult with the school's current economic state.
Good environment; the teachers seem passionate about what they're teaching and there are rarely discipline problems. However, there are absolutely no AP classes, which makes forming an advanced educational portfolio rather difficult.