Cabell Midland High School is a public school located in Ona, WV. It has 1,971 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 27% of students are at least proficient in math and 51% in reading.
Cabell Midland High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B457 Students
- A-203 Students
- A-86 Students
- A+75 Students
- C+55 Students
- A-51 Students
- C+48 Students
- C+36 Students
- A-34 Students
- B-33 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like Cabell Midland High School
- B-Huntington High School
- Cabell County Schools, WV
- 162 reviews
- C+Chesapeake High School
- Chesapeake Union Exempted Village School District, OH
- 72 reviews
- B-Buffalo High School
- Putnam County Schools, WV
- 85 reviews
- BHurricane High School
- Putnam County Schools, WV
- 151 reviews
Cabell Midland High School Reviews
Cabell Midland has a lot of unique programs to help students learn the regular curriculum as well as becoming certified in a certain job area or skill. However, in recent years a lot of these programs have experienced cutbacks and/or budget cuts. The Fine Arts department has almost no funding, and the students fundraise 95% of the money needed to perform. The athletics are a completely different story. School sports receive massive amounts of funding with little to no restrictions on budget. The football and wrestling teams recently put a $4,000 sound system in their practice room. Meanwhile, the auditorium stage has fallen into disrepair. Last year, a stagelight almost fell onto a student, and the administration did nothing. Cabell Midland has incredible potential, but the people in charge have shown almost no interest and letting it realize that potential.
Even though Cabell Midland is an overall good school, there are a few things that could be changed. One of the biggest problems comes from overcrowding. Due to an overwhelmingly large classroom size, many teachers tend to overlook students who are not the mot outgoing. CMHS should also have a more diverse selection for lunch, and not just the same thing every day. Students get tired of the same (gross) food, and settle with not eating. Finally, there should be a broader course load offered to students, with a wide ranger of electives- not just in Arts and PE.
Cabell Midland High School has an excellent range of AP and Dual Credit classes, but select teachers do not teach the class efficiently. Content is rushed, and overall atmosphere in classes are average. Relating to the teacher subject, I feel as though some teachers are not adequately evaluated for their professionalism in the classroom. Many teachers delve into their personal lives during class time, and don't separate their home life from work life. The other percentage of teachers are very professional and make sure to keep their home lives private, as it should be. Other than those faults, Cabell Midland is an average public school in my eyes.