Burns High School is an above average, public school located in Lawndale, NC. It has 1,071 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 41% of students are at least proficient in math and 45% in reading.
Burns High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+90 Students
- B89 Students
- A-86 Students
- B70 Students
- A+64 Students
- B+59 Students
- A+58 Students
- B-46 Students
- A35 Students
- B-35 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.13 responses
Burns High School Reviews
This school tried very hard to provide all its students with opportunities to grow and learn about what they were interested in. The teachers got grants to provide us with high end MAC labs and technology as well as classes and certification programs that could be used for employment after graduation. From CTE classes, to hands on opportunities including FFA, AP and college transfer classes, and a smorgasbord of core class offerings Burns comes through for its students.
Throughout my time at Burns High I have learned many things that will give me college readiness. Because of the teachers devotion to our students education and their ability to give students with hardships a chance to strive, they are wonderful teachers. There are so many resources available to the students at my school and is one of the reasons why I have reached greatness in my journey so far. Administration make the students their top priority and are always concerned on how they can improve the safety, and also the experience at the school. We have so many events that occur after school, such as games and after curricular actives. I love my school and it would be really hard to reach my goals on my own if it were not for them.
There is an apathetic culture that makes it difficult for anyone to push themselves. There are some phenomenal teachers at this school who will push and challenge you but they are not widespread. This school also suffers from a lack of resources and funding which makes it difficult to educate effectively. Also, the school board has a tendency to portray this school as the one that matters the least in the county which is unfortunate but it's hard to imagine that the students and community haven't done this to themselves with the apathetic culture that they foster.