COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Pre-Covid, tech was integrated into SEM's teaching, learning, and admissions. Fall 2020 opening plans and procedures for both online and on-campus learning include reconfigured spaces, reimagined teaching and learning combinations of synchronous and asynchronous distance learning, in-person classes for our day and boarding students, and virtual admissions tours for prospective families. Learn More
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA+
Our Oldest Tradition is Forward Thinking. There are girls' schools... And then there's SEM. Among the oldest schools for girls in the United States, SEM has designed a constantly innovating culture of achievement, scholarship, creativity, and leadership since 1851. Our school, on the National Register of Historic Places, is a cozy campus of grand homes renovated for student and faculty residences on a historic parkway, a grass field and regulation squash courts (our squash team is nationally ranked), in a leafy neighborhood. Situated on Lake Erie, SEM teams include sailing and crew. While most girls' schools are founded in specific faiths, SEM was instead founded with character development and scholarship at our center. Seated at Harkness tables, girls are encouraged to question and revisit answers until they are satisfied and expected to be respectful and community-minded. No uniform, secular.
Buffalo Seminary Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-50 Students
- A+43 Students
- A+37 Students
- A36 Students
- A+35 Students
- A33 Students
- A+27 Students
- B-26 Students
- A-23 Students
- B+23 Students
Test Our Readiness
Fall 2020, we're back on campus for in-person learning. All are masked and keep a 6-foot distance. Being together is a privilege we pledge to maintain. Classes are given simultaneously to students who opt to remain at home and to those who are in-person and are recorded for access later. Wednesday afternoons are reserved for club meetings, traditions, and all-school gatherings.
Culture & Safety
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.16 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.21 responses
Clubs & Activities
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.13 responses