grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade C+
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C minus
- Health & Safetygrade C minus
- Administrationgrade D minus
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade C minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade D minus
Buena High School is a public school located in Sierra Vista, AZ. It has 2,076 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 52% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Buena High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus665 Students
- grade B461 Students
- grade A441 Students
- grade B minus375 Students
- grade B minus199 Students
- grade A+115 Students
- grade C+90 Students
- grade A89 Students
- grade A+87 Students
- grade B+77 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade C minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 44 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 44 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 121 responses
- Football Games/Marching Band14%
- Spirit Weeks12%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 47 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 47 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 47 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 71 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 71 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 71 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade C minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$8,145 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 74 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 74 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 74 responses
Schools like Buena High School
Buena High School Reviews
Rating 3.27 out of 5 544 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
There’s nothing really there to like about Buena High School. The bathrooms are disgusting and so are the school lunch. If you get a class with a teacher who knows how to teach the subject that’s rare. We’re understaff for teachers and would have longterm subs. However there are some teachers who will just make your day and they live being a teacher. The counselors have no idea how to do their job and make it more difficult for everybody. For an example, I need to switch precalc/trigonometry teacher because I knew in the first month out teaching and learning styles are different and I would be lucky to pass. The counselors told me I couldn’t switch teachers unless i’m failing or have failed that course. So, i had to stay in said class and haven’t learned anything.
Buena High School was overall a roller coaster ride for me. It had its ups and downs, but the ups definitely trumps the downs. The staff, facilities, and classes were extraordinary and very diverse everyday. Although they were not perfect, the school tried their best to keep a safe and healthy learning environment with friendly faces on a daily basis. I have only two complaints concerning the school, which would be the inconsistency of enforcing a few rules. During my years, I experienced quite a few changes to the rules at Buena, but only some pulled through while others seemed to fade away in a matter of days or weeks, which was a waste of energy and effort from the students who followed those rules strictly. Also, some sports are glorified more than other programs that bring more pride and recognition to the school, but the kids themselves of those thriving programs do not receive proper recognition. Other than that, Buena High School serves its purpose greatly to its community.
As with any school, there are lows and highs, but with Buena it seems that the lows blot out the highs and there doesn't seem to be a good middle ground. Poor funding has left teachers to purchase their own materials and has left our math and science department to hang on by the very few threads that keep it together. The teachers are amazing, which is unfortunate because of the lack of respect they get from the administration and the student body. All funding seems to be funneld towards sports and taken from STEM and arts. I have met some of the brightest and most talented teenagers who need to be given classes for engineering, physics and better math and science, but aren't because of the lack of teachers and classes. This school has great potential to do something great, if it could manage it's funding in a smart way that enhances the school in the long run instead of what looks good on a political ticket.