Buchanan High School is a public school located in BUCHANAN, MI. It has 547 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 44% of students are at least proficient in math and 61% in reading.
Buchanan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A58 Students
- B+55 Students
- B+50 Students
- B-45 Students
- C-35 Students
- A+31 Students
- B22 Students
- B20 Students
- B-16 Students
- B+11 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.12 responses
Schools like Buchanan High School
- C+River Valley Middle/High School
- River Valley School District, MI
- 52 reviews
- B-Brandywine Senior High School
- Brandywine Community Schools, MI
- 19 reviews
- CMishawaka High School
- School City of Mishawaka, IN
- 183 reviews
- B-Niles Senior High School
- Niles Community Schools, MI
- 99 reviews
Buchanan High School Reviews
Buchanan is an absolute wonderful community. The school has so many different things that positively impact the community. The staff assists in creating a positive attitude no matter the current situation. Of my high school experience I have seen one fight, and I am now a senior. My only grievance is that it is a small town, which can not be helped easily. But due to the small town, there is a small town mentality, which is good because everyone is willing to help everyone. But, there are some very closed minded individuals which can give Buchanan a negative name, despite being voted nicest school in America, winning the Battle of The Fans, and being the envy of every student section in our conference. Buchanan is a wonderful, amazing place that I am so happy I grew up in!
Buchanan is half filled with racism and rednecks, the rest is a mix. Students are very cliquey, lots of drama is always happening. People are only mature if you're an honors or a dual-enrollment student. Honors kids can get away with almost anything. This school doesn't care about arts (no funding or theatre) or anything else besides football and baseball. Sport coaches pick favorites (usually the popular kids). The teachers are alright, science teachers are the hardest to get along with. The lockers are small/unusable, unless you're a senior. The school doesn't have air conditioning , but we have iPads (priorities). Sadly, this school is probably the best out of the ones in the Berrien district. I recommend going far away from the Buchanan area. Some decencies here are the lunches (includes fries!), the Buchanan Promise (which is a 10k guarantee for college if living in the district), and dual-enrollment opportunities which allow you to earn an associates degree along with a diploma.
The teachers at Buchanan are great, and provide a strong learning experience. My only short comings are that sometimes the classes move too slow to accommodate for everyone.