Brookings High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B134 Students
- A+54 Students
- B+51 Students
- A33 Students
- A24 Students
- B19 Students
- B-17 Students
- A17 Students
- B-14 Students
- B14 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 21 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.24 responses
Brookings High School Reviews
Review Brookings High School
I loved going to this high school, but I have heard of some negative experiences involving BHS. For example, I was never personally bullied, but I've heard from several classmates about bullying experiences. Additionally, I loved nearly every teacher I had, but I heard about some discrimination and severe favoritism from other classmates, as well as basing students off of their siblings. Since it is South Dakota, it is not very diverse, and our police force does not make a huge effort on making it a safe place to be, and put their efforts in the wrong areas. I love the principal, but counselors could do a much better job on preparing students for the future and genuinely getting involved with the students. Facilities are great, but as is anywhere, they could always be improved. Overall, however, as I said, my experience here was a good one!
Over all, I loved this school. I suffer from ADD and sever clinical depression. I've always had difficulties in school do to this. Brookings High School has an excellent program for people like me and other who have special needs. Their staff helped me stay organized and on track daily. There are also several programs and groups that you could join. Most of the teachers there seemed to actually like their job and be in it for the students. They respond well to diversity in learning styles and personality types. From my experience, if you are willing to ask for help, the staff are more then willing to help.
The majority of teachers at BHS are helpful and educated but there is that occasional teacher who is close minded ad only looks at one way of teacher. Test scores are good because the school give incentives like NHS and academic awards. Standards are high which I respect. Overall, this is a very good school but there is also much room for improvement.