Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Brookings High School is a highly rated, public school located in Brookings, SD. It has 924 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 53% of students are at least proficient in math and 70% in reading.
Brookings High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B247 Students
- A115 Students
- B+93 Students
- A-78 Students
- A-46 Students
- B43 Students
- A41 Students
- B+39 Students
- B-38 Students
- A-37 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.24 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.26 responses
Brookings High School Reviews
Brookings high school has many opportunities and different classes depending on your interest. Even if you’re not sure what you’re interested in or what you want to pursue in the future, they have plenty of options to find out about different things and let you play around with your interests. If you know what your interested in, mostly any of them will have an assortment of of things. Let’s say your interested in art, they have painting and drawing classes, sculpture and ceramics, photography, different graphic classes, and it’s just spreads on to different topics. Aside from classes, most of the teachers are amazing and will not only try to connect to you on an educational level, but on a personal one. They want to help you succeed and do the best that you can so you can do great things. Most of the teachers i have had at this school have left a good impact on me and I still chat with them to this day.
I like how we are encouraged to really get involved with the school’s activities, clubs, and sports. However the teachers are pretty bad they don’t care much about the students. The English department has the only really good set of teachers; they get excited in class about what they are teaching and make connections with each student. The music department is amazing; we have great directors with a high scoring marching band and five choirs and two orchestras. We also highly value sports as a school and many students take part in every sport we offer: football, basketball, cross country, track, volleyball, tennis, swimming, and so much more. Our sports aren’t outstanding but everyone has fun along the way and we aren’t considered bad anyway. Brookings High School has lots of diversity anywhere you look. There are many social groups, including the thespians, the choir nerds, the band geeks, orchodorks, the athletic kids, the smart kids, the preppy kids, and the list goes on.
I enjoyed the welcoming atmosphere of Brookings High School as long with an abundant amount of opportunities for activities and clubs. No matter who you are, there is a club, sport, or group that can fit one or many of your interests. Brookings High School also does an exceptional job of involving students in hands-on activities and projects in every class. Brookings High School also offers many classes that focus on careers that will help prepare a student for life after high school and help students decide best fits and career choices for them individually.