Bronx High School of Science
- Bronx, NY
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A+
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade A+
- College Prepgrade A+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade A
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Bronx High School of Science is a top rated, public school located in Bronx, NY. It has 3,020 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Bronx High School of Science Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A+1,192 Students
- grade A+1,068 Students
- grade A minus870 Students
- grade A+807 Students
- grade A+707 Students
- grade A minus621 Students
- grade A+526 Students
- grade A+394 Students
- grade A+392 Students
- grade A+389 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade D minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 110 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 110 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 334 responses
- Spirit Week18%
- Spork Wars17%
- Cultural Shows10%
- Three v. Three Basketball Tournament8%
- Halloween Costume Competitions7%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 115 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 115 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 115 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 153 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 153 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 153 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
No data available
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 160 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 160 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 160 responses
Schools like Bronx High School of Science
- grade A+High School of American Studies at Lehman College
- New York City Geographic District No. 10, NY
- Rating 4.04 out of 5 130 reviews
- grade A+Brooklyn Technical High School
- New York City Geographic District No. 13, NY
- Rating 3.9 out of 5 2,103 reviews
- grade A+Townsend Harris High School
- New York City Geographic District No. 25, NY
- Rating 4.19 out of 5 634 reviews
- grade A+Stuyvesant High School
- New York City Geographic District No. 2, NY
- Rating 4.07 out of 5 1,059 reviews
Bronx High School of Science Reviews
Rating 3.85 out of 5 958 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
The Bronx Science community is really nice and helpful. The teachers and even the students are very kind and welcoming. It is a very challenging environment but the workload is worth it. I can tell from my first experience at Bronx Science how passionate the teachers are at what they do. If you need help with a certain subject, they are always there to assist. The students are very phenomenal too. Almost everyone can find their place at Bronx Science and bullying is very uncommon. Even though the workload is heavy, it is manageable because of the great support from peers and teachers. It is a very nice environment and the people surrounding you always encourages you to become the best version of yourself, if only you are willing to that is. Don't be shy, don't be afraid to ask for help! If you really want a productive and fun experience at Bronx Science, you will make it happen!
I like Bronx Science because it is competitive everyone here is worried about themselves but having said that if you also are competitive then these people will get you, they will get your strive and your determination. Bronx Science is poor in its diversity however there are active organizations working towards diversifying the school and its curriculum. Mental health wise the school has been working towards providing more resources to students, but mind you the commute time here plus the work plus ec's will give you a challenge no matter what but the nice thing is that everyone else is also in the same boat as you. Watch out for some teachers but most are nice and get involved there is so much to do here! So many clubs and teams!
Bronx High School of Science is a very competitive school filled with rigorous courses. There is a large range of course selection as well as extracurriculars and sports that target different individuals' interests. Over the course of the time you spend at Bronx Science, you will slowly be able to find your passion and a friend group. This school prepares the students to get ready for college in terms of the college experience, academics, time management, counseling, and more. In your high school career at Bronx Science, you are bound to encounter some teachers that are harsh at grading, play favoritism, communicates poorly with the students, and simply don't know what they are doing. However, there are also other teachers that serve as very good mentors for the students and even can become friends! Lastly, the school could definitely do better in terms of school safety since a lot of students take the subway to school.