Brewster High School is a highly rated, public school located in Brewster, NY. It has 1,079 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 94% in reading.
Brewster High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-97 Students
- A-96 Students
- A+86 Students
- A80 Students
- A-70 Students
- B66 Students
- A+63 Students
- B+63 Students
- A+59 Students
- B57 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 38 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.33 responses
Schools like Brewster High School
- ACarmel High School
- Carmel Central School District, NY
- 282 reviews
- ALakeland High School
- Lakeland Central School District, NY
- PK, 9-12
- 172 reviews
- A+Yorktown High School
- Yorktown Central School District, NY
- 254 reviews
- A-Putnam Valley High School
- Putnam Valley Central School District, NY
- 112 reviews
Brewster High School Reviews
There are amazing teachers who will go out of their way to make sure that you're getting a good education, while also understanding extenuating circumstances and working with you personally if workload is affecting your mental health. Many teachers are average, there is nothing to complain about and nothing exceedingly inspiring about their teaching. But there is a concerning and overwhelmingly large amount of teachers who simply do not teach their class. Without fail, every year I have had to teach myself at least two of my subjects. This was not due to a course being too difficult, or material being tricky. It was due to either the unwillingness of teachers to spend time creating lesson plans, or just purely their lack of knowledge on the subject and inability to teach the material. I know that I will look back at my four years with fondness, but this problem leaves a stain on the school's overall reputation. The educational gaps might cause difficulties in the post secondary world.
Like most schools, Brewster High School is full of many unique students that show passion for doing good in the world. It is an extremely safe school, to the point where the safety implementations can sometimes interfere with some freedoms that students have. There are many wonderful teachers that will guide and assist students towards being independent and begin to prepare students for real world problems. The teachers here show great tenacity and share humor and stories with students to brighten our day. The only problem I have with this school is the school lunches, as you might expect, lacking in quality. It would be nice to see the school implement more food options and improve on the quality of the lunches that are served everyday.
My experience at Brewster has prepared me very well for my intended career path. My teachers were almost invariably helpful and nice to talk to, and I have had the privilege to take several advanced placement and dual enrollment courses throughout my four years. If I had to identify some problems with BHS, I would point to the relative lack of guidance resources for competitive students and the fact that none of the school's water fountains function adequately (though this now seems subject to change).