Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC
- Clubs & ActivitiesC-
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesC
Braxton County High School is a public school located in Sutton, WV. It has 549 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Braxton County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-65 Students
- C38 Students
- C+37 Students
- B-32 Students
- B-23 Students
- B-12 Students
- B-12 Students
- C+11 Students
- C+10 Students
- C+9 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.3 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.3 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 4 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.5 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Braxton County High School Reviews
Braxton is a good school and they have tried to make a lot of positive changes over the last few years that I have been there. The staff really forms a good relationship with the students and you can tell that they really care about the students. I always feel safe and welcomed when I walk through the doors. Things I would possibly change are college readiness, not that the teachers can help it but a lot of students coming from Braxton are at a disadvantage. I also wish administration would push hygiene more for some students, in a polite way of course.
My freshman year (2014), BCHS was an absolute mess. Between an all-new administration staff and counseling staff, no one seemed to know what they were doing. However our 2 most recent principals, J. Pierson and T. Minney, worked and have been working extremely hard to increase the rigor and esteem of the school. My freshman year, only 2 AP Classes were offered. My senior year, there are 6 in addition to several dual-credit courses. The staff has been more and more often recognizing individual achievements (academic, extracurricular, and athletic) and been pushing academic success as their number one goal. This year, we were ranked 12th in our state based on state standardized test scores compared to somewhere in the 90s my freshman year. Obviously the school isn't perfect but it's so much better than it was four short years ago and will continue to climb the ranks.
Some of the teachers care, some do not. The ones who care really care and are excellent teachers. Overall, the school simply doesn't have the funding to truly prepare students for college. They need more clubs and after school activities for kids to be a part of.