Braxton County High School
- SUTTON, WV
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C+
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade C+
- College Prepgrade C
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C minus
- Health & Safetygrade B minus
- Administrationgrade C minus
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C minus
Braxton County High School is a public school located in SUTTON, WV. It has 553 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 12% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Braxton County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus74 Students
- grade C45 Students
- grade C+42 Students
- grade B minus35 Students
- grade B minus30 Students
- grade B minus14 Students
- grade C+14 Students
- grade B14 Students
- grade C+11 Students
- grade C9 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near Braxton County High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade unavailable
- Good for Familiesgrade unavailable
- Housinggrade unavailable
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade B minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 3 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 3 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 4 responses
- Athletic Events25%
- Students eating before games25%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 6 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 5 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade C minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$11,348 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 10 responses
Braxton County High School Reviews
Rating 3.1 out of 5 41 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
In short, BCHS is not a great school. Aside from the poor maintenance and boring location, the school struggles academically for a couple reasons. First off, hardly any of teachers are engaged. They don't help with the students who are struggling but they also don't give work that will challenge the students who really want to learn. I think this is why we always test so badly as a whole. Of course, I can't ignore the teachers who really do try. These 4 or 5 teachers are the only people keeping the school afloat. Without them, our school would plummet because the rest of the staff, and the students for that matter, could care less about education. Most of the students have no desire to go to college because they have no interest in learning at all. This is an easy mindset to slip into whenever your teachers let you tread on them. Rules are broken all the time but the school rarely goes through with punishment. In the end, Student unity and school pride are the only things saving BCHS.
Braxton County High School is an average school. It has it’s good and bad sides. Braxton offers a good selection of college courses to help get students ahead in their education, but they don’t make those classes easily accessible by students. The teachers at Braxton are average. There are some teachers that push the students to be the best that they can and other teachers don’t push their students at all. Braxton is also a small school so the extra curricular activities are very limited. They provide free breakfast and lunches for all of the students to help families with limited amounts of money. Overall Braxton is an omay school to send your kids.
Braxton is a good school and they have tried to make a lot of positive changes over the last few years that I have been there. The staff really forms a good relationship with the students and you can tell that they really care about the students. I always feel safe and welcomed when I walk through the doors. Things I would possibly change are college readiness, not that the teachers can help it but a lot of students coming from Braxton are at a disadvantage. I also wish administration would push hygiene more for some students, in a polite way of course.