Block Island School is an above average, public school located in Block Island, RI. It has 120 students in grades K-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 5 to 1. According to state test scores, 35% of students are at least proficient in math and 65% in reading.
Block Island School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B18 Students
- A+8 Students
- A+7 Students
- A+6 Students
- B+6 Students
- A6 Students
- A+5 Students
- A+5 Students
- A-5 Students
- A4 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.3 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.3 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.3 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.3 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.3 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.3 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.3 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.3 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.3 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.3 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.3 responses
Block Island School Reviews
The Block Island School offers a below average education in a very unique setting. The administration is lazy and most teachers, with some exceptions, are subpar. The school falls back on it's 'uniqueness' when preparing students for college. There are no college prep course offered and most administration will just tell you to write your college essay about living on the island. Students who attend this school don't learn math. The issue stems from older teachers with lack of common core math skills. I speak for most kids when saying living on the island is an enjoyable experience but the school here is terrible.
I have gone here k-12, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I have been friends with the same 12 kids in my class for my entire life, and will probably keep them the rest of the way. The school is not terribly challenging, but on such a small scale it is hard to accommodate for the more adept kids as well as those who need more help. I could have left and gone to another high school, But I didn't want to leave all the friends that have basically become my family.
I like the uniqueness of living somewhere that is so close to the sea. The community of the highschool is close knit, and everybody knows everybody. The only downside is that the school doesn’t have AP classes except online.