Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA
- Clubs & ActivitiesC-
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesC-
Black River Public School Middle/High School is a highly rated, public, charter school located in Holland, MI. It has 547 students in grades 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 39% of students are at least proficient in math and 42% in reading.
Black River Public School Middle/High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+85 Students
- A79 Students
- B+77 Students
- B+56 Students
- A-54 Students
- B34 Students
- B-23 Students
- B-22 Students
- A21 Students
- A-17 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.9 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.12 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.14 responses
Schools like Black River Public School Middle/High School
- B-iCademy Global
- Online School
- Zeeland, MI
- 7 reviews
- A-Saugatuck High School
- Saugatuck Public Schools, MI
- 74 reviews
- A-Zeeland West High School
- Zeeland Public Schools, MI
- 181 reviews
- A-Jenison High School
- Jenison Public Schools, MI
- 230 reviews
Black River Public School Middle/High School Reviews
I've attended Black River Public School for 13 years and have had an overall positive experience. Students benefit greatly from small class sizes and one on one communication with their teachers. The project term program at the end of the year is great for giving students new life experiences and teaching them about topics not covered in the normal curriculum. If you want to take a class not offered at the school, you can go to the Careerline tech center, take an online class, or enroll in a college course (Hope College is just down the road). If you're someone whose main priority is getting a good education, Black River is the best school in the area. However, if you want to play on a really good sports team or you excel in the arts, Black River might not be the place for you. Additionally, I think the english program is excellent and makes students great writers, but the math program needs vast improvement.
This school is very small but that is what makes it such a high quality education. The teachers know all their students by name and have a close relationship with them as the classes are quite small. The classes are very quick pace and if not familiar with that environment, students may struggle at first to get ahold of the expectations for each class. But in the end, the education is very strong and all the teachers are extremely qualified to be doing what they are doing.
I have attended Black River for 13 years, I have had a great experience. As a college prep, it pushes you to be your best. The teachers are very helpful and are eager to answer any questions you may have for them. The facilities are old, but they have made the best effort to create a safe and comfortable space. Because of these reasons, I strongly recommend Black River Pubic School to any students or families interested in attending.