Black River High School is a public school located in Sullivan, OH. It has 353 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Black River High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-50 Students
- B48 Students
- A+44 Students
- B-38 Students
- A-36 Students
- B32 Students
- B-23 Students
- B22 Students
- B+16 Students
- A-15 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Schools like Black River High School
- B+Norwayne High School
- Norwayne Local School District, OH
- 63 reviews
- B-Crestview High School
- Crestview Local School District (Ashland), OH
- 42 reviews
- B-Northwestern High School
- Northwestern Local School District (West Salem), OH
- 42 reviews
- B-New London High School
- New London Local School District, OH
- 21 reviews
Black River High School Reviews
Black River has given me the necessities in order to exceed. The faculty at Black River are outstanding and extremely helpful. My favorite quality about this school is that it is very tiny so you make long-lasting relationships with people, and the teachers. For instance, I had Mrs. Dieter all four years of high school. She has taught me Honors English 9, Honors English 10, and college credit plus courses like Child Development, Introduction to Education, Early Childhood Curriculum Methods, and Theory of Guidance and Play. However, with the limited population of people, we are not a diverse school. Majority of the school is Caucasian females and males, including teachers. I believe that diversity is a great opportunity to explore multicultural heritages. I am involved in several activities and I believe that we should have more! Black River offers numerous clubs and organizations like HUDDLE, SADD, Student Council, Chess Club, Anime Club, FCCLA, Yearbook, Journalism, and many more.
Black River High School is one of the smallest schools around Ashland County, but that’s what makes it so special to all that go there. Everyone knows everyone, and it’s a very close knit community, when you need help or support you always get it. Of course there are cliques, but I’ve never witnessed bullying or harassment at Black River, if anything I’ve seen some of the kindest people while at school. The teachers are fantastic and will take their time to help you, and the pep rallies are always fun and enjoyable. All in all, I’ve loved my time and Black River and I’ve made a lot of friends over the past twelve years, and I wouldn’t trade that for anything.
New administration is really turning the school around. As a graduating senior I would recommend the school, and as a member of the music program I can proudly say that the music program is wildly successful. Sports are great to be in, I am an athlete if the track team and can say that it is very well directed.