Big Walnut High School is an above average, public school located in Sunbury, OH. It has 980 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 69% of students are at least proficient in math and 70% in reading.
Big Walnut High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+186 Students
- A-129 Students
- A99 Students
- B-71 Students
- B+71 Students
- B69 Students
- A-69 Students
- B67 Students
- B-37 Students
- B34 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.17 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.29 responses
Schools like Big Walnut High School
- A-Buckeye Valley High School
- Buckeye Valley Local School District, OH
- 120 reviews
- BCenterburg High School
- Centerburg Local School District, OH
- 79 reviews
- B-Highland High School
- Highland Local School District (Sparta), OH
- 88 reviews
- A-Westerville North High School
- Westerville City School District, OH
- 222 reviews
Big Walnut High School Reviews
Big Walnut is a supportive school district with a perfect small town feel. The teachers and staff are willing to go the extra mile to ensure that they are adequately serving each students individual needs. The district in general finds ways for everyone to be involved from sports, art, theater, music, and more. Big Walnut is not just focused on one area of expertise for students, but they rather allow students to explore and discover all their interests. The one down side is the district is quite small, but it is growing more by the year.
My experience at Big Walnut High School was average. There wasn't anything too exciting and nothing too rough. Over the course of my past 3 years here, there has been few staff members that have helped me excel to where I am now. Our academics here didn't really prepare me for state or standardized tests, which I had to use outside resources for help. Our school is very overcrowded, with little to no available parking spots for all students. I enjoyed living in a small town and knowing everyone but I'm ready for something new.
The curriculum was challenging, thought-provoking and supportive of a well-rounded mind. However, I would have liked to see more ethnic diversity among both the faculty and the student body as a whole.