Bergen County Academies is a top rated, public, magnet school located in Hackensack, NJ. It has 1,059 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 96% of students are at least proficient in math and 88% in reading.
Bergen County Academies Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A180 Students
- A+158 Students
- A+149 Students
- A+137 Students
- A+135 Students
- A+133 Students
- A+128 Students
- A+99 Students
- A+85 Students
- A+85 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.38 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.38 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.59 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.66 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.66 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.66 responses
Schools like Bergen County Academies
- A+Bergen County Technical High School - Teterboro
- Public School
- Teterboro, NJ
- 171 reviews
- A+Dr. Ronald E. McNair Academic High School
- Jersey City Public Schools, NJ
- 217 reviews
- A+Montclair High School
- Montclair Public Schools, NJ
- 313 reviews
- AYonkers High School
- Yonkers City School District, NY
- 907 reviews
Bergen County Academies Reviews
In terms of academics and college readiness, there is no doubt that BCA excels in this area. However, the culture at this school definitely can change. Stress and no sleep is basically a norm, it is almost odd to be getting more than 5 hours a day. It can cultivate an unhealthy mindset of what is failing or doing well. There have been instances of teachers embarrassing students in class for whatever grades they receive. Of course it's important to clarify that this does not make up the entirety of BCA. There are teachers, counselors, and faculty members that clearly care and have been nothing short of amazing. However, it's also important to note this school may not be the best place for mental wellness. In addition, there is a clear disconnect between the administrators and students. As far as activities, there is a lot of people to meet and a lot to be involved in, so take advantage of it. BCA has been mixed with the good and the bad. How to perceive it depends on you!
The challenging, competitive atmosphere of Bergen County Academies (BCA) provided students with a rigorous environment similar to what they would experience in college. In this way, BCA prepares students for the amount of coursework and the level of difficulty that they will ultimately face during their college career. However, while some teachers are extremely knowledgable in their respective fields, many do not teach well and do not encourage students to pursue their interests due to the amount of difficulty and confusion that they encounter during the course. Additionally, there is a heavy focus on STEM rather than the humanities. The STEM courses offered have more resources and are given more attention than the humanities courses. The student counseling offered at BCA has also been known to be unhelpful, and discourages students to reach out during their struggles.
Bergen County Academies is a school that will definitely prepare you for life. This idea of an institution where students are focused on their education builds an atmosphere that is upbuilding and inspirational for all. After the competitive application, the number of resources and opportunities are endless for anyone. The clubs, projects, and electives distinguish BCA by offering courses that fit with all interests. In addition, the free time in between classes makes this school seem more manageable and convenient. Also, the sports here are incredible but require a lot of commitment. In reality, however, BCA is overwhelming as the rigorous classes, successful and intelligent teachers, and high standards placed upon the students make life seem impossible to conquer. However, I think BCA puts this stress on us, the students, in order for us to prepare for real life. This means that the complexity of this school makes our future seem brighter, more accessible, and approachable.