Bergen County Academies is a top rated, public, magnet school located in Hackensack, NJ. It has 1,069 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 94% in reading.
200 Hackensack Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Bergen County Academies Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A220 Students
- A+189 Students
- A+183 Students
- A+164 Students
- A+160 Students
- A+154 Students
- A+141 Students
- A+114 Students
- A+105 Students
- A+103 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.39 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.39 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.60 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.67 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.67 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.67 responses
Schools like Bergen County Academies
- A+Bergen County Technical High School - Teterboro
- Public School
- Teterboro, NJ
- 201 reviews
- A+Dr. Ronald E. McNair Academic High School
- Jersey City School District, NJ
- 242 reviews
- A+Montclair High School
- Montclair Public Schools, NJ
- 332 reviews
- AYonkers High School
- Yonkers City School District, NY
- 981 reviews
Bergen County Academies Reviews
In terms of academics and college readiness, there is no doubt that BCA excels in this area. However, the culture at this school definitely can change. Stress and no sleep is basically a norm, it is almost odd to be getting more than 5 hours a day. It can cultivate an unhealthy mindset of what is failing or doing well. There have been instances of teachers embarrassing students in class for whatever grades they receive. Of course it's important to clarify that this does not make up the entirety of BCA. There are teachers, counselors, and faculty members that clearly care and have been nothing short of amazing. However, it's also important to note this school may not be the best place for mental wellness. In addition, there is a clear disconnect between the administrators and students. As far as activities, there is a lot of people to meet and a lot to be involved in, so take advantage of it. BCA has been mixed with the good and the bad. How to perceive it depends on you!
One's time spent at BCA will heavily be influenced by their academy. Even though each academy has different workloads, there are some academies with bigger workloads than others, meaning students in those academies have to sacrifice more of their time to get the same high grades as students of other academies. Some classes are geared to a specific academy, meaning students only of a certain academy are allowed to take them. However, there are many clubs, electives, societies, and sports students can take to enrich themselves in various ways. Also, the school is structured like college, having multiple free times throughout a day, allowing students to relax, have fun, take extra classes, or work on schoolwork throughout the day. BCA's student environment can get very competitive, but at end of the day all the students are respected by others. The students thrive with the help of teachers, administrators, and, of course, their peers.
Bergen County Academies offers unparalleled opportunities for students to flourish. Run more like a college than a high school, gives students a great experience to be college ready. Trips to visit out of state colleges all over the country, and a Junior year weekend conference where college admission officers help students write their college essay. Classes of the highest level with opportunities for research, incredible arts and theater programs, and almost excessive parental involvement. Consistently ranked in the top High Schools in the nation, deservedly so.