Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
Bacon Academy is an above average, public school located in Colchester, CT. It has 759 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 72% in reading.
Bacon Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A177 Students
- grade B109 Students
- grade B minus91 Students
- grade B63 Students
- grade B61 Students
- grade B minus54 Students
- grade A+52 Students
- grade B minus51 Students
- grade B+46 Students
- grade B minus37 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B minus
- Good for Familiesgrade A minus
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 19 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 76 responses
- Flex days every other friday18%
- Spirit week13%
- First day the Bacon way12%
- Spirit day12%
- Band/Choir Concerts9%
- Attending Athletic Events7%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 20 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$20,638 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 30 responses
Schools like Bacon Academy
- grade B+Portland High School
- Portland School District, CT
- Rating 3.5 out of 5 70 reviews
- grade A minusCoventry High School
- Coventry School District, CT
- Rating 3.74 out of 5 90 reviews
- grade B+East Hampton High School
- East Hampton School District, CT
- Rating 3.82 out of 5 76 reviews
- grade B+Montville High School
- Montville School District, CT
- Rating 3.49 out of 5 135 reviews
Bacon Academy Reviews
Rating 3.65 out of 5 205 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I just started but it's been pretty good so far! I have loved all of my teachers so far and the building itself is nice. The classes have a good range, it's not all focused on academics. The really good music program and tech ed classes! Haven't really interacted with the sports side but people tell me it's good too. One thing I would like to see change is that I would like them to be more accommodating to students with disabilities. They are really good about diversity and racism though.
Bacon Academy is a school that allows students to grow individually along with their classmates and teachers. Its staff creates a welcoming environment for all students no matter their race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. The school provides many opportunities for students to explore their passions. From an array of athletic programs to the lively arts programs, and everything in between, students are given the chance to find themselves. The academics of the school are incredible. Students learn at their own pace, are pushed out of their comfort zone, and given amazing support by their teachers. This school really changed me and allowed me all the room I needed to grow.
Bacon Academy is a great school all around. The administration cares deeply about both the student body and the staff. The administration is always working to improve the school's environment whether that be in terms of safety, diversity, or school spirit. The teachers at Bacon are amazing and in my four years, I have had VERY few poor experiences. The school's program works very well to find a place for every student's academic level with their 4 tier leveled classes. The electives at Bacon are also amazing with lots of options in many different areas of study. The technology department at Bacon is especially impressive with comparisons to that of some tech. schools. By now means is that the old special part of Bacon though. Every department has its specialties, and across all the department's Bacon offers dual enrolment with colleges. Overall, it is just an excellent school that continues to work on fixing any issues.