Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA+
- Health & SafetyA+
- Resources & FacilitiesA-
Back of the Yards College Preparatory High School is an above average, public school located in Chicago, IL. It has 1,067 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 23% in reading.
Back of the Yards College Preparatory High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+268 Students
- A-216 Students
- A+147 Students
- A-143 Students
- B+141 Students
- B-130 Students
- B-118 Students
- A+105 Students
- B-96 Students
- B93 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.15 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 39 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Back of the Yards College Preparatory High School Reviews
Back of the Yards College Preparatory High School was a fantastic experience! The counselors and teachers are very helpful and accessible. Multiple academic programs are offered that challenge students and give college credit (Advanced Placement courses, International Baccalaureate program, etc.). There are many great extracurricular activities. Personally, I was given the opportunity to play football (one of the most expensive sports for a school) for the first time in my life. In addition, the youth inside of the teaching staff is refreshing and allow students to relate to their teachers more. The support teachers provide their students with is incredible (office hours, email availability, alternative assignments for students without computers/printers, etc.). The only reason my rating is 4 stars instead of 5 is because the counselors heavily push students toward 4-year universities and almost completely disregard community college as an option. Overall, I am glad I chose BOYCP.
Back of the Yards high school is amazing. My last four years here have been wonderful. My teachers are kind, caring, understanding, fun, funny, outgoing, and the list can go on forever. You feel like you belong your very first day there. Having been around for only six years and having exceptional athletics teams and academics is incredible. Back of the Yards cheer team are back to back City champs. The Wrestling team and Soccer have won regionals, and the dance team have gone to City and State! Even our robotics team went to City! Our clubs and sports teams are great, what can I say. We have career programs and a P.E Senior Leadership class. Our school is beautiful inside and still relatively new! I'm so proud to have been apart of this school.
Back of The Yards College Prep was a very accepting school, and provided me with so many opportunities. I participated in sports and clubs and I learned so much there. I was allowed to grow and develop my skills. There is no other school I would recommend as highly as this one!