Avon Lake High School is a highly rated, public school located in Avon Lake, OH. It has 1,218 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 86% of students are at least proficient in math and 86% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+175 Students
- A-140 Students
- B108 Students
- A-107 Students
- A99 Students
- B80 Students
- B73 Students
- A65 Students
- A+49 Students
- B-38 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.17 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 36 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.24 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.28 responses
Schools like Avon Lake High School
- ABay High School
- Bay Village City School District, OH
- 92 reviews
- AOlmsted Falls High School
- Olmsted Falls City School District, OH
- 162 reviews
- AWestlake High School
- Westlake City School District, OH
- 178 reviews
- AAvon High School
- Avon Local School District, OH
- 220 reviews
Avon Lake High School Reviews
Avon Lake High school is beautiful. The school track is brand new, there is a weight room available to students, and there is also a wide variety of AP and honors courses available for students to choose from. There is also a personal trainer on campus to help students who become injured during sports practices. Classes are rigorous, and students are competitive. The food options, however, are limited, and vegetarians, vegans, and others with dietary restrictions are forced to either a) pack their own lunch or b) eat peanut butter sandwiches. The food options are also always the same each weekday (except on Wednesdays), so a packed lunch is the way to go. There is a noticeable lack of diversity in the school, and many students (especially seniors) drink.
The teachers are very involved. The current principle loves to hype school spirit, his motto is GBED-Get Better Every Day (I wanted to point out everyday is one word but decided against it). The school offers college readiness classes for freshmen sophmores juniors and seniors. The school also has a very diverse curriculm of electives like TV Production, creative writing, Digital Art, and a program with LCCC, our local community college, to prepare students who want to become teachers themselves. The school is very safe for students under Detective Herd and parking lot patrol. The highschool is currently building and improving learning centers and the library as well as more classrooms. Every class is equipped with active boards, dry erase boards, and even chalk boards. Overall Avon Lake High School is a very safe and respected school that offers its students the best education and preperation for college in a cozy city.
Overall good teachers with a few exceptions, very good foreign language program. Sports teams are decent but not many are state champion worthy. Updated technology and many honors, AP, and college credit (through the community college) classes to choose from for all grades. Almost all college credit classes are taught at the high school so you don't need to go off campus.