Avon High School is a top rated, public school located in Avon, CT. It has 1,024 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 79% of students are at least proficient in math and 88% in reading.
Avon High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A207 Students
- A+86 Students
- A+84 Students
- A+63 Students
- B60 Students
- A54 Students
- B-52 Students
- B50 Students
- A-45 Students
- B-44 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.16 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.16 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 28 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.33 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Avon High School Reviews
Unfortunately, there are many things that the school needs to work on based on the culture and climate. In my last year a student unfortunately took their own life, and I hate to say that the administration did little to nothing to fully address and help other students in the situation, only having counselors available for two days the weekend after the traumatic incident. Despite stressing how important they believe the safety and well-being of a student is in their academic career, this was not shown at all before, during and/or after the incident. This led to many students shutting themselves out and this also affected their performance in classes and extra curriculars.
Personally I felt as though the teachers and administration cared more about how the school appeared to the public rather than how it appealed to the students. It was always about getting good grades and bumping up our school averages. I don’t remember many classes where I actually learned something that would stick. Everything that was taught was taught for the purpose of taking a test. Frankly, I will say that I had a lot of teachers who truly helped me and I will probably remember as some of the best ones. They were helpful, understanding, and knew how to make a lesson stick and make it useful in the real world.
My experience at Avon High School has been amazing so far. I have been challenged an incredible amount, but I've learned so much about myself as a student, and as a person. The only thing I wish to see change would be more diversity in student life and organizations, and a little more relaxation on homework and work policies. High school can be incredibly stressful, and sometimes teachers do not help. Overall, though, I have loved every single one of my teachers who I feel are always there for me, and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything.