Avon Grove Charter School Reviews

AGCS is a great school. They are accepting of all kids no matter their differences and think outside the box that creates an environment of safety and acceptance. The teachers and administrators are the best!
Avon Grove Charter School is an amazing, tight-knit community of families pursuing a great education. The school was founded because the local public schools were focusing more on sports than academics; our founder, Dr. Brady, decided to open a charter school committed to academics including STEM and the arts! It is a truly phenomenal place to spend one's adolescence!
I believe that Avon Grove Charter School really allowed me to excel in not only my academics, but it also allowed me to become more active in my school. Avon Grove Charter School is a very small high school, with only 70 people in my graduating class. However, being a smaller school allowed for more opportunities. It allowed me to get involved in multiple clubs and allowed me to become president of student council. Becoming president opened up many doors and really allowed me to take on more responsibility and become respected among my peers. Inside of the classroom, the class sizes were smaller than an average classroom which allowed for more questions to be asked and for teachers to take more one on one time with their students. The Teachers at Avon Grove Charter School are also very invested in their students. Try often give up their lunch or preparation periods to help students who are struggling in their class. I rate Avon Grove Charter School overall four stars.
Start Your Review of Avon Grove Charter School
Avon Grove Charter school is a great place for all kinds of people and provides the personal attention from staff for students to succeed.
NIGHTMARE
Safety and Behavior are concerns:
Swearing
Constant fighting – one student had her jaw broken in Math
The principal models bad behavior by condoning bad behavior. The good teachers leave or are under review
Bullies are protected at this school. The principal actually requested that I allow them to move my child from the classes away from the bully instead of dealing with the known bully problem.
Principal reprimanded a Science teacher today 3/15/2018 in front of his students and forced the wonderful teacher to step down. Shame on him!
Award ceremonies reward social behavior, but recipients are often students who have behavior issues – Message be bad get an award.
No academic rewards which is what I feel would be better – Encourage the STEAM Program for todays students are tomorrow's leaders.
As a teacher, I am appalled. As a taxpayer, I feel powerless. As a mother, I am disappointed by a school that had so much promise and could be so much better.
I was really happy when my child was chosen to go to AGCS, but then my nightmare started.
The school was very receptive at first answering all my child and I's questions. I was assured that the atmosphere was like family and students are so well mannered they don't even need to put a lock on their locker. I was ecstatic-so grateful that my child was given a wonderful opportunity to go to a small, family oriented school.
My son is socially awkward which is why I was looking at this school.
First issue: This school has a chosen few that they give the right to bully, accuse, and belittle others. My child was devastated that what we were told was a complete lie. The issues were brought up to the Dean of students. He spoke with me - not about the student that was spreading rumors but about my son's IEP and his misconceptions and social awkwardness. I was saddened by the school administration lack of guidance training and social disabilities. See con’t review entitled NIGHTMARE.
Avon Grove Charter School is an excellent school. I love the atmosphere. It isn't a big school, so you get to know a lot of students and teachers. The microfarm is one of my favorite things about the school. The teachers are great. I have always felt that if I need additional help, they will do whatever it takes to help me and all students. We have clubs and sports to get involved in. I help to start a bass fishing club. The school was very supportive. Our administration loves to hear about student ideas. The education I am receiving from Avon Grove Charter School is fantastic.
We have four kids who have attended AGCS. We especially appreciate their CAAP program for advanced students.
This is a great school with really good teachers. The academics are very good. My son is in second grade and has really progressed while at Avon Grove Charter School.
I absolutely love this school!!! My son stared in the middle of the year because we moved and I didn’t want him going to the school in our disterict. Everyone is extremely friendly and the holiday show they put on is so much fun compared to any other school show I’ve been too. Hands down best school in the area in my mind. My step daughter goes to a different school because her mom lives in the disterict that the school is rated like in the top 3rd in pa and Avon Grove Charter is by far way more fun and friendly than that school!! My son has excelled more accidemicly than he did all of last year . I think is because he has fun at school and he is now enjoying learning.
Do NOT. PUT YOUR STUDENT IN THIS SCHOOL! The administration does nothing about bullying but the teachers want to help. Mr. Maitland the principal is unfair to high schools and favors certain students and leaves the rest out to dry. I had my 3,000 computer smashed and was cyberbulllied they did not make the student pay for the computer and they only gave the girl who did it 2 days claiming they have no camera’s in the classrooms. On top of all this they are accusing me of stealing some popular kids headphones as they have cameras for them apparently. They only help the popular kids that have been there and they use the smart harmless kids just for test scores. As a 9th grade student there do not put your kids there this is worse that your district or a private school. The teachers want to help but cannot as the administration Mr.Delphin and Mr.Maitland will fire them.
The teachers and support staff are extremely helpful and dedicated to the success of AGCS students. Our experience with AGCS has been excellent.
I am so happy at Avon Grove Charter School. It is preparing me with a great education and has provided me with many experiences that have shaped the career path I would like to pursue.
I love AGCS because they have a farm! What kid wouldn't want to go to a school where there were chickens and goats and sheep, like that is pretty cool.
Our family loves AGCS! We have a special needs child and the AGCS staff and community have always been extremely supportive. They have done whatever they could to meet our son's needs and maximize his learning experience. As a parent, what more can you ask for? Thanks, AGCS!!!
All three of my children have attended AGCS since kindergarten and are now entering 7th, 8th, and 9th grades. Above all, my reason for the 5 star ranking is that each of my three children is extremely HAPPY at school. Though their individual needs are extremely different from one another - academically and socially as well as extracurricular interests- and this "small school" with more "limited programming" has easily met their needs. The teachers care deeply and have done everything within their power to help my children succeed, every step of the way. Administrators are approachable and open to feedback and problem solving. All staff are working to expand already amazing programming in the arts, science, language arts, history, math, and foreign language departments. Personal highlights for my children are the dance program (how often is that an option for a MS student?!)and the Chinese language program (one of few local schools to offer Chinese through AP). Highly recommend!
We picked AGCS because it had all day Kindergarten when our local public school did not. Now I don't see us ever leaving AGCS. Our experience here has been amazing. The staff is so caring and willing to help children learn and have fun learning. Just amazing.
Start Your Review of Avon Grove Charter School
We enjoy Avon Grove Charter. Our child has learned and grown so much as a child. We look forward to having him continue to strive and grow with Charter. The teachers have been exceptional throughout our time with the school. They go above and beyond to ensure that each student is thriving inside there classroom. A special thanks to Mrs. Pepe and Mrs. Galati for making children want to come and learn something new and exciting daily. We cannot wait to come back next year to experience more of wonderful Charter.
Great school spirit and sense of community! STEM initiative and the arts are a big focus at AGCS. Our kids have really enjoyed the smaller school population, as well.
Our daughter has been with AGCS for 3 years now. Each year the experience gets better & better. The teachers are amazing, dedicated individuals who put their whole heart into all they do. We love AGCS & the community of teachers, administrators & families!