Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesC-
- Health & SafetyB
- Resources & FacilitiesC
Avery County High School is a public school located in Newland, NC. It has 430 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 22% in reading.
Avery County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B88 Students
- A-75 Students
- A+59 Students
- B53 Students
- A+50 Students
- B+37 Students
- C36 Students
- B28 Students
- A+22 Students
- B+22 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Schools like Avery County High School
- A-Avery High STEM Academy
- Avery County Schools, NC
- 4 reviews
- B-Mitchell High School
- Mitchell County Schools, NC
- 22 reviews
- C+Cloudland High School
- Carter County School District, TN
- 41 reviews
- C+Mayland Early College High School
- Mitchell County Schools, NC
- 5 reviews
Avery County High School Reviews
The school has some absolutely amazing teachers who really care about the students and really work with them to help them achieve goals, even though the funding is terrible! The school really suffers all the books and materials there are in very bad condition and in need of updating with the school itself. The school itself is quite bad there are even some parts of the school that are shut down due to mold and there is almost no diversity there at all! Although there are lots of counselors there that are always ready to help prep students for college and the sports there are very impressive for how small the school is, but a major thing they need to improve is Safety! They never take any threats to the school seriously and put many students at risk. They instead just stick to spending all funding on the football field and plastering security cameras all over the school that do absolutely nothing.
When I attended this school i saw a few things. I saw some very hard working determined teachers, I also some teachers drag themselves to school daily and not want to be there as much as the other students. There were some great programs in my intended field there were engineering classes, drafting, principals of technology(physics applied to engineering), and computer repair classes. Those classes were great and helpful and I learned many great things i would use later on in life. besides horticulture and capentry there wasent much else as texhnology/ hands on occupations. There were many programs that were cut do to budget issues ie the new multi million dollar astroterf football field. Sports were more highly praised and sought after than academics however we did win a few academic competions over the years. If not for the few hard working determined teachers pulling the slack of the rest of the faculty I would have hated highschool.
Overall I have had a pretty great time at Avery County High School. Most of the teachers there are really nice and are wanting to help the students. There are a few bad teachers though. I think that Avery County High School could have done better with teaching us stuff that we actually need to know how to do like taxes. They also needed to do more to stop vaping.