Averill Park High School is an above average, public school located in Averill Park, NY. It has 986 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Averill Park High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+46 Students
- A40 Students
- B-36 Students
- B+33 Students
- A+31 Students
- B30 Students
- A-29 Students
- A+28 Students
- A26 Students
- A+24 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.15 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 59 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.19 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Schools like Averill Park High School
- BIchabod Crane Senior High School
- Kinderhook Central School District, NY
- PK, 9-12
- 65 reviews
- B-Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk Senior High School
- Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk Central School District, NY
- 28 reviews
- B-Berlin High School
- Berlin Central School District, NY
- 32 reviews
- B-Tamarac Middle School High School
- Brunswick Central School District (Brittonkill), NY
- 37 reviews
Averill Park High School Reviews
There was an abundance of opportunities for extracurricular activities at Averill Park and all students were encouraged to take part in them. I took advantage of those opportunities whenever I could. Although there were dances, pep-rallies, spirit weeks, and a few interesting classes, which were all extremely fun, the experience at APHS was nothing extraordinary. Each year I advanced, it seemed the number of and conditions of the rules did as well. There were many teachers who gave the utmost effort and attention to their students and their work, but there were also many that assigned homework and projects, graded student's work intensely, but did not teach and left it to the student's research to teach them. I experienced both of these types of teachers.
Averill Park High school did not prepare students for reality, college, or provide any opportunities worth noting. Having attended all four years of high school, the academics continued on a downward spiral where by the time I was a senior in high school, I was only taking 2 classes a day because that's all that was available. There were numerous budget cuts, teachers who were let go, and sports programs that became extinct one after the other. Many of the reams I played for had to fundraise twice a year, just to be able to play. Averill Park's college prep was basically non-existent. The counselors didn't know the students, nor provided real ways on how to even begin the process. Just the simple questions of, "What do you want to do?" "What do you want to study?" etc. Also don't miss the lack of diversity. The halls were very, white...
Averill Park high school is in a very small community. There is very little diversity. This is probably because of it's location. It is in a rural setting in Rensselaer County. The biggest downfalls of the school is college readiness. The school offers little in the college credits you can earn prior to going to college. In terms of choosing a college or college major, the guidance counselors do very little to help the students who have average grades. The are more interested in the smart student who gets excellent grades.