Austin High School is an above average, public school located in Decatur, AL. It has 1,438 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 15% of students are at least proficient in math and 31% in reading.
Austin High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A162 Students
- A161 Students
- B+140 Students
- A132 Students
- A-114 Students
- B-106 Students
- B85 Students
- B71 Students
- B60 Students
- A53 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 31 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.15 responses
Austin High School Reviews
Every student here loves Austin, especially me!! This school has such a good atmosphere, from the teachers to the students, there is always good energy. High school can be a pain, but getting up everyday knowing I’m going to a school where everybody wants to be there, is very refreshing. Everyone’s #1 priority is learning and growing! I’m so thankful that I have teachers that push me and my peers to be better, personally and academically. Austin High leaves an imprint on every student that walks in and out of their doors. It doesn’t matter what building we’re in, what teachers we have, our school will always be the same Austin. Black Bear nation!
This school has an amazing learning environment and offers plenty of opportunities to advance in education. My biggest problem with the school is that they sometimes put sports before education and show a lot of favoritism towards those playing the activities. I do understand that sports have always been that way in a High School setting, but its 2018 and its time that we start letting that stereotype die. My schools attention to sport takes their focus away from education which is the staple point that makes this school an amazing school. Austin High School would be a 10/10 school if only it just tried a little harder to show true recognition to those who try to succeed academically.
My experience of the four years I have attended Austin High School have been nothing short of cherishing memories and a great educational experience. The teachers at Austin are amazing. They are highly approachable and truly care about their students success. I feel very prepared for college due to the challenging curriculums taught at Austin. In addition, all the clubs and activities offered at Austin make it easy for everyone to become involved in something. While my time spent at this high school has been great, I would, however, like to see the actual facility improve. The school is very old and needed utilities such as bathrooms, classrooms, thermostats, etc. have become low quality.