Augusta Preparatory Day School Reviews

Our family is ending our 12th and final year at Augusta Prep and we couldn't be prouder of the education, nurturing and thoughtful guidance our daughters have received at this outstanding school. We have a Prep graduate in 2009 who has earned a degree from Washington and Lee University, Trinity College in Dublin and UGA Law. We have a 2012 graduate who earned her undergraduate degree from Emory University and graduated with a job as a Consultant with Booze- Allen in Washington DC. Our 2018 graduate is heading to the University of Georgia in pursuit of a degree in Health Sciences. All three daughters and our family owe Augusta Prep a HUGE thank you!!!
Augusta Prep is an excellent school. It offers top notch academic instruction and a variety of sports and other activities to provide a well rounded experience. There is a small group of disgruntled individuals on a petty mission to try and drag down the school's rating. Do not be deceived by their misguided efforts. This is a wonderful school at which to send your child.
I was bored at my previous school - a middle school in Columbia County. When I came to Augusta Prep in seventh grade this year, I was thrilled to learn how challenging it is for me. Yes, I do have some homework that keeps me busy at times. But I love all my teachers, and I love things like playing chess. I'm so looking forward to eighth grade in a few months.
Start Your Review of Augusta Preparatory Day School
I love attending Augusta Prep. The school is run very well, has a friendly staff, and the academics are challenging. I’m looking forward to two more years at Augusta Prep and seeing how well prepared I’m going to be for college.
As a Prep parent, I'm so happy with this school on so many levels. It's a wonderful environment. My child is getting an outstanding education. There are so many great teachers there, many of whom are returning next year. We're looking forward to the 2018-19 school year at Augusta Prep.
I have never seen so many people leave a school in one year. Enrollment is at an all time low with many long-standing families leaving and many faculty and staff leaving too. Just look at the list of staff that has left since last July or announced they are leaving by the end of the year: Director of College Counseling, Director of Counseling, Registrar, Middle School Head, Lower School Head, Director of Communications, Director of Extracurricular Programs, Middle School Counselor, School Nurse, four teachers, an administrative assistant and two classroom assistants. Administration keeps saying that “everything is fine,” but if Prep is so great, why are so many people leaving?
We have been so pleased with our children's experience at Prep. They have developed a true love of learning and enjoyed the many opportunities to be a part of this loving community. Just today the Upper School students put on a theater workshop based on things our Lower Schoolers had written. We are delighted to be a part of the Prep family!
I love Augusta Prep! While the academics are tough, my teachers are fair and accessible. It feels like being a part of one big family. When I graduate, I know I'll be well prepared for college.
I’m so happy my husband and I decided to send our children to Augusta Prep. It’s a warm, friendly, safe ennvironment with so many wonderful teachers who have been there for many years. The money we invested in Prep paid off with academic scholarships in college, and our children were well-prepared when they took the next step beyond high school. Thanks, Augusta Prep!
I am extremely pleased with the excellent education my children received at Augusta Prep. They are very well-prepared for the university they are currently attending. I would highly recommend Augusta Prep to any parent seeking a quality education for their children.
This school is a huge part of our family's life. My children have been taught responsibility, respect, pride and self confidence from the many amazing adults and kids they come in contact with every school day. I'm very involved in parent activities at school and as I walk around school during the school day and during after school activities I see how the kids are interacting with each other and their teachers. Yes it can be academically challenging, but the teachers are very accessible before and after school to help. My children who have graduated from prep have been very well prepared for their college classes. My children who are still at prep are very happy with school and would be very upset if they had to leave this school. We finally have consistency in our administration and the school is moving in the right direction. Looking forward to the next 5 years.
I honestly don’t know how Prep can justify its very high tuition anymore. Go a couple of miles up the road to public school and you get much more for free: double the number of AP classes, dual enrollment opportunities, a much better college admissions record, and a safe environment where bullying and substance use is handled in a transparent, fair way. Prep brags about how well their students are prepared for college and yet they are not offering the classes to support that claim and they can’t even seem to get their students admitted to selective colleges. Don’t waste your money.
In reading through the other recent reviews, there is nothing new that I can say except to add our experience to others. After attending the state of school address, our decision became crystal clear. We are leaving the school because of the board's inaction. Period. When a board of trustees does not listen and recognize the many, many signs of a school in crisis and fails to act to the detriment of the school and more importantly, at the cost of children at the school, it is time for us to leave. This past year, we have researched other schools in our area and have found that many of the experiences that we thought were unique to Prep are in fact, not. Those experiences can be had elsewhere as well. Our bittersweet realization after the events of this horrific year is that without good leadership, Prep is just a place after all.
Last week, a serious incident occurred. The next day, the administration sent an email detailing the consequence of the incident, which I admit was probably appropriate. However, once again, without acknowledging the weight of the incident, it was dismissed as a "slight altercation." This is what you can expect from the leadership that has established a pattern of behavior of seeming extremely dismissive and negligent. If your child never has and never will experience any negative thing to happen at the school, then it is all roses for you. However, if you worry that your child might be targeted next, do not look to this administration for support. You will be dismissed. This vibrant, eclectic, happy wonderful culture has turned into a culture of silence, where only the administration is allowed to express the "true" opinion.
If you get nothing else from these reviews, get this: this is a deeply divided community. The current leadership is incredibly polarizing. There are obviously some folks who still think the school is on the right track, but there also is a large group who feels it is going in the wrong direction. Lower academic standards, higher tuition, bullying and the recruiting of football players are areas of concern. Enrollment is the lowest its been in over a decade. Augusta Prep used to be a vibrant, unified community; it is now a divided mess.
I have refrained from posting a review on this site because it is frankly embarrassing to read these reviews and see the obvious civil war occurring at the school. However, after the latest review posted by a middle school student (???), I felt perhaps I should also post. Considering the fact that there are over thirty one star/ two star reviews, I would surmise that parent dissatisfaction at the school is actually quite high. Before electing to come here, we researched the school and this site and they were mostly good. This year, there has been a huge influx of reviews, positive and negative. The words "civil war" seems to be the most apt description. We have only recently joined Prep and for us personally, we signed on believing the school to be something other than what we thought. The teachers have been great but we will not stay if the school does not know the direction it is going, especially since tuition has gone up and I am told that this is a trend as well.
As a student at Prep, I can say that my teachers care about me, and they always take the time to give me extra help. I enjoy the opportunities to be involved in student council, and extra-curricular activities like sports and drama.
Start Your Review of Augusta Preparatory Day School
I went to the “State of the School” talk last week and while there a parent stood up to express her concerns. She kept referring to the parents as “we.” The next person to speak objected to being lumped into “we” citing that she thought everything was fine with the school. And it struck me that there was no more “we” at Augusta Prep. It is now “us” vs. “them.” You have to choose a side; there is no more unity. Until recently we were a happy family where no one questioned the use of “us” or “we.” There are now such deep divisions that I don’t think we will ever recover from this. We have the current administration’s dismal leadership to thank for the demise of this once great school.
The education at Augusta Prep in the best in the CSRA! My children love school and can't wait to go back each and every day. They speak positively about their teachers and administrators, and enjoy the various sports, clubs, and fine arts activities available to them. And as a parent, I am thrilled the student population has 38% diversity! What I have been disappointed about is a very SMALL group of parents who are keep slandering the school on this website because they are upset over a faculty member getting dismissed. They post reviews that contain inaccurate facts hoping to drive away new families. Potential families: please know that 95% of us love our school and the faculty love their jobs! As attending private school is a choice, thankfully these "negative nellies" are not returning next year and will take their antagonism with them because the majority is happy and can't wait for their children to graduate from APDS!
I like Augusta Prep because of the loving environment it gives me. As a student at Prep, I not only have the love and support from my family, but also from my school family, including friends, teachers, and coaches.