Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA-
- Clubs & ActivitiesC+
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
Athens High School is a highly rated, public school located in The Plains, OH. It has 763 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 54% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Athens High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-308 Students
- A+126 Students
- A-63 Students
- A-60 Students
- D+36 Students
- B29 Students
- A+27 Students
- A25 Students
- B24 Students
- B23 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.15 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.21 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
Schools like Athens High School
- B-Logan High School
- Logan-Hocking Local School District, OH
- 84 reviews
- BAlexander Junior/Senior High School
- Alexander Local School District, OH
- 56 reviews
- C+Federal Hocking High School
- Federal Hocking Local School District, OH
- 29 reviews
- CNelsonville-York High School
- Nelsonville-York City School District, OH
- 75 reviews
Athens High School Reviews
This is a school where you will find a lot of good things along with a lot of problems. There are limited resources, so the building is literally falling apart. Extracurriculars other than sports are not well supported, so they can easily fall apart if students are not completely dedicated to them. There are not enough resources for mental health counseling and assistance by any means. On the other hand, there are some amazing teachers here. If you find the right people and places to focus on, the experience of attending Athens High School can be pretty great.
I'm going into my third year of high school at AHS, and so far I've had an amazing experience. Wonderful staff. Great student environment. However, the downfall is the social class diversity in the school, which can lead to some issues as a student, but I've never personally had a problem with that. Overall, Athens High has a great learning and social environment, with many opportunities for students such as AP and CC+ class options, along with many fun electives and extracurricular activities. I've had a great experience so far!!
Overall I had a good experience at Athens High School. Most of my teachers were amazing and very helpful. Te overall environment was pretty good as well but everybody has their own experience. Something I would like to change is to have locks that work in the bathroom stalls, more interactive learning, and study halls that are in a classroom and not the auditorium. Another thing I would want changed, not just at my school but all high schools is quality and inclusive sex education. This also would include a mandatory lesson/ presentation on consent.