Athens High School is a public school located in Athens, TX. It has 969 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 65% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Athens High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+171 Students
- B110 Students
- A+91 Students
- C+91 Students
- B91 Students
- A-84 Students
- A+78 Students
- A-70 Students
- A68 Students
- B+65 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 39 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.23 responses
Schools like Athens High School
- BBrownsboro High School
- Brownsboro Independent School District, TX
- 117 reviews
- B-Eustace High School
- Eustace Independent School District, TX
- 26 reviews
- BMalakoff High School
- Malakoff Independent School District, TX
- 39 reviews
- B-Cross Roads High School
- Cross Roads Independent School District, TX
- 19 reviews
Athens High School Reviews
I’ve been in Athens high school since sophomore year. Mostly everything is great; I like the teachers and staff because most of them are friendly. The food is unpleasant for most students so they bring their own lunches. The high school is currently under construction for building a new gym since the city is growing, therefore more space is needed. Some people are snobby which is disappointing when you’re trying to get help for something. I would like to see changes from the principals and most of the teacher because sometimes, students would get in trouble for some minor problems and get an In-School Suspension for something they really didn’t do.
Athens High School is really just an average Texas school. School spirit is generally low, and they certainly aren't leading in any academic fields. However, after the passing of the recent bond, all main campuses in the district have expanded, with the high school, in particular, gaining a new band hall, new science labs, and supplies, new student computers, a new football field house and concession stand, a brand new cafeteria, modern entry, and a full basketball stadium.
I have lived in Athens my whole life, and now as a senior in Athens High School, I feel that I am qualified enough to provide my opinion on the state of Athens High School. As with any public school there are going to be some teachers that are quite average, and that most of the students do not enjoy. There are also going to be teachers that are quite exceptional, and that are very helpful; one such teacher that I, unfortunately have not had the pleasure of learning under, is Mr.Becker. I have not personally witnessed any bullying as a senior, however I'm sure it has happened before, and the administration is quick to deal with incidents such as these. For the most part Athens High School is a diverse school that is easy to be a part of if one simply follows directions.