Athens Area High School is a public school located in Athens, PA. It has 691 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 62% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Athens Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-51 Students
- A+33 Students
- B20 Students
- B-17 Students
- C+14 Students
- A14 Students
- B+14 Students
- A+13 Students
- A13 Students
- B-11 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.9 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.14 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.12 responses
Schools like Athens Area High School
- B-Spencer-Van Etten High School
- Spencer-Van Etten Central School District, NY
- 81 reviews
- C+Northeast Bradford Junior/Senior High School
- Northeast Bradford School District, PA
- 65 reviews
- BWaverly High School
- Waverly Central School District, NY
- 28 reviews
- CTowanda Area Junior/Senior High School
- Towanda Area School District, PA
- 27 reviews
Athens Area High School Reviews
Athens is a great school with very supportive community. There are several upperclassmen privileges not a lot of other schools have, such as open campus: being able to leave on study hall/ free periods. The teachers, faculty and administrators all just want the students to succeed and give them every tool possible to achieve that.
Overall, its great! It may be pretty small, but it really just makes everyone more close-knit than other, bigger schools. We also have many different friend groups or "cliques" but they aren't typical. You can be friends with different people in every clique and get along great and theres rarely any problems with the different groups. We also have a lot of school spirit! Coming from an athlete who plays two different sports, its great to have a school that will come out and support their own peers and friends and make playing the sport worth while. They also travel to many of our "away" games and cheer us on. It really brings everyone together. Our extracurricular clubs are full of people that you get along with very easily. Going to school in a small town also makes hanging out easier. Most of us live not too far from one another so its very easy to make time for your friends and hang out outside of the school. We've had school bonfires outside of school and class hangouts. If i could do it all over again, I wouldn't change anything. All of my closest and best friends have been made from attending high school with them and I couldn't imagine my life without these wonderful people that I met through Athens High School. Its also run by very friendly teachers that I feel like I could go to about anything. Except a couple of them, but I think you're bound to have a couple of those kinds of teachers throughout your highschool career.
When looking back at my high school career it was very enjoyable. Some things that I would change about the school would be having more teachers help me with getting help with scholarships, collage applications, etc.