Athens Academy Reviews

I have attended Athens Academy for 14 years, and I believe that, overall, it is a great school.
The Good: (mostly) amazing faculty, can build meaningful relationships with teachers and peers, friendly students (generally), good academic quality, beautiful campus and buildings, many intellectual students
The Mediocre: the food, diversity levels (they're getting better), aid in the college search/application process
The Bad: high levels of cliques, overall community can be judgmental and cliquey as well, lack of AP class opportunities, lack of club opportunities and other unique extracurricular activities, some difficulty in coming in as a minority student, extremely expensive (not worth it in my opinion if you live in Oconee County), many students have difficulty in getting into good colleges (including UGA)
Athens Academy's grading system really affects your chances of getting into colleges. It is a small private school in a small town in Athens, Georgia and it grades you like you are attending the most elite and prestigious school in the nation when it's not. I have had very few teachers that I have actually enjoyed and the cafeteria food is awful and we pay so much money for it. And when it came time to apply for colleges I received little to no help from the school and our college counselors even though the schools labels itself as a "college preparatory school". I had to hire someone outside of the school to be my college counselor when we were already spending so much money on the school itself.
Athens Academy is a school of learning and experiencing. The teachers are committed to the students, and the students, especially the ones in the Honors and AP classes are eager to learn and better themselves as well as their community. The most important thing that Athens Academy has to offer, I believe, is that the students work together remarkably well. It is common to see two or more students working together to study for a test or to complete a project with the idea that they will learn more from each other than what they could on their own.
Start Your Review of Athens Academy
The clearly higher caliber group of teachers is what makes the school stand out. In addition, the school creates an inviting environment that allows any new students to feel welcome, and allowed to contribute to the community in a meaningful way.
This school gets better and better with each passing year. The mission statement makes sure that EACH student seeks excellence. The honor code is taken seriously, and the respect that the students have for each other is not something you usually see in a high school. The Art program is fantastic- starting in the lower school. This school is not a cookie cutter school, but one that embraces children for who they are and they bring out their strengths. The academics are rigorous but not unrealistic. When graduation comes the students are prepared for the next step in life.
I attended ACAD from 1981 through 1986 when I graduated. Those wete some of the best years of my life!
Incredible learning environment with an open campus. Students get to walk freely between classes and practice accountability to being to each class on time.
The study skills learned at the school prepare the students for college exceptionally well.
I highly recommend Athens Academy for anyone looking for a well balanced education. Simply put... a great place to spend 12 years to learn life lessons in an academic, artistic, musical and athletic environment.
I encourage families to tour the school. A beautiful campus, engaging teachers, and students who love to learn all await. There is no better way to learn than to see it first hand.
Athens Academy has been the best educational option for my children. The school offers a comprehensive academic program and every child is exposed to visual arts, music, and drama. Service is introduced in the preschool and continues through 12th grade. The campus is beautiful and spacious and students have room to run, play, and be outside. My children are happy to go to school each day and have developed a true love of learning. Athens Academy is a supportive community of parents, children, teachers, and staff.
I have absolutely loved my time at Athens Academy! The teachers are so engaged in the students and will go out of their way to support and help anyone. The students are supportive of each other. I love going to the football game and seeing the drama students cheering then going to the drama play and seeing the football players on the front row supporting their classmates. Finally, I have loved that service is so important. Whether we are serving dinners each Friday, organizing blood drives, working with Special Olympics or tutoring our Lower School students, I love that service is so important to everyone.
What a gem in NE Georgia -- a College Prep program that focuses on the whole child. Every day, my children were exposed to arts, athletics, service, and, of course, academics.
We absolutely love this school. We have 3 different personalities of children and each has found a passion. They are challenged academically but also exposed to Arts, athletics and service and leadership. A top notch school and an even better community!
I love my school so much. I have been granted so many opportunities involving leadership and my education that I doubt I could have had access to otherwise. While excited to graduate and move onto my next chapter, I will dearly miss the culture of Athens Academy and all that it has provided me with.
Athens Academy was a great place to work. It provides faculty and students with incredible opportunities for growth and pursuit of passions. The school is a remarkable resource to the 10-county Northeast Georgia region, and remains significantly involved in elevating the quality of life for its residents.
The teachers are OUTSTANDING!! They have genuine care for their students and want to make sure that each student feels noticed and successful.
The school health and safety is good. Students feel safe at school and feel like they can find a teacher or faculty member to talk to along with going to a school nurse.
Start Your Review of Athens Academy
There is a wide variety of extracurriculars to choose from: sports, arts, student council, lit magazine, etc
Not bad, too many religious groups, but no options for secular debate. Several community service clubs. Most don't require much commitment as they are very large
A decent amount of bullying, but apart from that, absolutely safe