Assumption High School Reviews

I loved the academics provided, curriculum, joyful school spirit, and being able to express religion; however, like all high schools, cliques are major and popularity is huge in relationships.
The staff at Assumption high school genuinely cares about the development of each and every student enrolled. Teachers truly take students under their wing in order to see them excel in not only their education, but also life skills, such as mannerism, professionalism, and politeness. Leaving Assumption, I felt 100% prepared to commence a higher education. Now, starting my sophomore year as a business Finance major at the University of Iowa, I am academically excelling thanks to my experience at Assumption High School.
Kids are safe at school and everyone looks out for one another. Activities are available for students from all backgrounds to be involved in.
Start Your Review of Assumption High School
Assumption is overall a very comfortable environment to learn in. The staff is friendly and the teachers truly want students to succeed. They are also super resourceful. The food is pretty decent, but seems overpriced. If you want your child to learn in a Catholic environment this school is perfect. The dress code is okay. It's not the best but less strict than other private high schools. It is a good learning environment.
Assumption is a great place for religion and it is a terrific tight-knit community. That being said, if you aren't into sports, extracurriculars are going to be very difficult for you. The fine arts department is hardly funded and/or talked about, plus there are hardly any academic clubs. If you are into sports, great; just be wary of the "winning is the only thing" mentality here, especially in track. Other than that, the academics are good, and the smaller size of the school allows for closer friendships and a more realized shared identity among students.
Assumption High School is known for its athletic and academic excellence. Many sports within the school win state titles each year, and the school has also won a few national titles. The student to teacher ratio is very small, so students have a chance to get quality one on one time with teachers. Every teacher in the school is knowledgeable about his or her subject, and all the teachers in the school work hard to ensure that students are ready for college once they graduate.
Where do I start, well with the teachers. Most of them are amazing some better then others. I can tell they care and want the best for everyone, but it's hard when all the students are stuck up brats who think it's ok to say there better then everyone because there parents or grandparents have lots of money. Most kids in the high school as every other American high schools they don't think about the fact that most of the people in the school they won't ever see again after high school. Over all assumption is bad it doesn't keep up with cleanliness for example I throw fruit in places and it doesn't get cleaned up for months, the food it poorly made. An example of that, I was at lunch going to get food and I saw they had donuts out for some reason. I found out why they didn't sell them at breakfast because it was and I'm not joking a hamburger bun topped with frosting and sprinkles. I don't need to keep going on about how bad the school it i think I got my point accrost.
Assumption is an incredible school that is truly a family and a community. The only downside is that the building is a little bit older so there is not air conditioning.
I liked how helpful the faculty and staff were - they were always willing to help if a student needed assistance with something. There was also a lot of school spirit within the faculty, which made students enjoy being there.

However, sometimes it was hard to feel welcomed at the school, as it can be very clique-y. It also focuses more on athletics than fine arts, and the arts rarely get noticed or recognized.
I was worried about high school. Going into my freshman year, I was imagining the worst possible scenarios. In reality, the school itself was great. The teachers all took personal interest in each student, and everyone made me feel welcomed. Even now, four years later, teachers whom I have not seen in years still talk to me in the halls and check in on me. Our principal calls us the "Assumption Family". It sounds cliche, but everyone here is very close and many of the graduates seem to return to teach or participate in the community somehow.
This school provides an incredibly high quality education, while also providing an enviornment for students, teachers, and faculty to gain a deeper understanding of the Catholic religion and to grow in faith.
Assumption High School gave me many skills that I feel will help me succeed in college and my faith life. But socially, I would say the high school lacks communication and honesty.
I had fun at school for the most part even though they were very strict on the rules and a lot of the teachers were very nice for the most part
The students were not friendly, the education was simple, and few of the teachers cared. Sport and dances were more important than education. One teacher in particular would call students unattractive, or say many inappropriate comments.
I am not familiar with many of the safety policies at my school
There are many opportunities for extra curricular involvement
I have gained knowledge, but have been limited in exposure to real world situations. I enjoy the small school size and have made some good friends.
Start Your Review of Assumption High School
My experience is that I have found some of the teachers engaging and real world focused. Most are knowledgeable in their subject area but I have found are not open to varied learning styles and ideas.
While I generally feel safe at this school, at least physically, we do not have a school nurse, and students who feel depressed, suicidal, or who have committed suicide are ignored and forgotten. We have a counselor, but there is no code to follow for mental health issues that may arise among students. We have a significant amount of students who are depressed or unhappy, and the school refuses to acknowledge these problems or attempt to address them.
Most extracurricular activities involve sports. While I think this is a great thing, there is a minuscule amount of clubs that do not relate to sports. Some of the academic or student run clubs, such as writing club and anime club, are not acknowledged by the administration, and have a hard time gaining new students.