Ashe County High School is an above average, public school located in West Jefferson, NC. It has 962 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 55% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Ashe County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-102 Students
- B-54 Students
- A+51 Students
- B+48 Students
- B-47 Students
- A+43 Students
- B+32 Students
- B-29 Students
- A-29 Students
- B+23 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.16 responses
Ashe County High School Reviews
ACHS is an okay school because you can get the education you need from a high school. However, the school and it’s administrators are not very supportive of some activities. The stereotypical “big” activities such as football, basketball, and beta club get a lot more support than groups like golf, yearbook, and choir. The other major let down about this school is it’s teachers. A lot of it’s current teachers just don’t care about their students. There are some good teachers, but the amount of them seems to keep getting smaller and smaller.
As a student of Ashe County High School I rate the school an overall score of 4 because while we do have good academics and teachers, administration is slightly lacking. Students have tried to compromise with and convince administration regarding many issues and have made no progress. For example, some students have requested that we be allowed to decorate our graduation caps with no success. I am not complaining that we cant decorate our caps but that administration doesn't even attempt to compromise or see things from our perspective. Ashe County High school is a great school but could use an administration that is more understanding of students.
As a becoming senior, I am excited for the special occasions set aside for seniors to enjoy an aspect that doesn't deal with stressful schoolwork, but a safe environment to be with friends and experience your last year of high school with memories you are bound to keep. Adding Smart Lunch into the schedule is going to add a new effect to the aura of responsibility: being involved in clubs, doing homework in a timely manner, or using this as a relaxing time so you can concentrate easier in classes.