Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C+
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade B minus
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Ashe County High School is an above average, public school located in West Jefferson, NC. It has 875 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 55% of students are at least proficient in math and 44% in reading.
Ashe County High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus177 Students
- grade A+90 Students
- grade A+81 Students
- grade B77 Students
- grade B74 Students
- grade B minus74 Students
- grade B+58 Students
- grade B minus50 Students
- grade B48 Students
- grade B+46 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade B minus
- Housinggrade C minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 9 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 23 responses
- Homecoming and Prom35%
- Spirit week and big rival games26%
- Military Ball22%
- Band Events9%
- Spirit Week4%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 11 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,962 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 19 responses
Ashe County High School Reviews
Rating 3.67 out of 5 114 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I have not always lived in Ashe County, but it is by far the best public school I have ever gone to. Outside of the typical issues when you have a bunch of teenagers together, it is a very good school. There is not excess bullying, fighting or other nonsense, and if there is, an end is put to it immediately. I will always be proud of graduating from ACHS!
Ashe County High School is a great place to be with an overwhelming amount of support from teachers and usually from peers. I myself believe that the only thing my school could fix would be a better way of communications of events/scholarship or community service opportunities since no one ever seems to know when or where something is happening. That being said our teachers work very hard and are very appreciated for the work they put in to each individual student.
I enjoy the hardworking administration! They truly want their students to do well and succeed! My time at Ashe County High School and I have learned more about life from the administration alone than I have learned from taking classes. I highly recommend this school to anyone!