Arts & Communication Magnet Academy (ACMA) High School Reviews

ACMA is a really interesting school. It offers all the basic high school classes, as well as elective arts pathway courses in Visual, Performance, and Communications arts. I, personally, am on a Vocal Music pathway. Even though the choir teacher is not the best, the experience is good to have. ACMA is a pretty diverse school, it's very LGBT-friendly, etc. With teachers and quality of classes, it's really a coin flip. Some teachers are FANTASTIC and their classes are amazing. Some teachers, not so much. One thing I would like to see change in is more variety in non-arts classes. A lot of our alumni go into nursing/medical/engineering/psychology programs, but we have no classes covering any of those, save for the bare minimum of required science classes. As someone who would enjoy going into a science or medical career, I would like to have more variety in those regards. Other than that, ACMA is a really interesting school. It's not perfect, but it's good.
I love the arts, the dancers shouldn’t be the only ones to get money. Visual artists should be able to have the money they need to buy new supplies or machinery.
The rules are very lenient, allowing for the freedom of art. This makes sense being an art school. The teachers and staff are very nice and helpful and the school continues to grow everyday.
Start Your Review of Arts & Communication Magnet Academy (ACMA) High School
I was at ACMA for one year, then I switched schools mostly because they only put me in one art class for the whole year when I got my schedule. Really? One? While I was there, I felt as if the school cares more about dance than painting/sculpting etc. Also, the staff felt more like workers at the USPS front desk- unnecessarily rude, and treating us like kids rather than young adults. Today, I wanted to visit my friends during school hours, but wouldn't let me, even though I well know other people were visiting and people visited at random times last year. (It's the last day of the school year and I miss my friends, come on man.) As much as I love art, I couldn't stand being in a school where they treated me like this. As for a positive aspect, it was very easy for me to make friends and I could find people with common interests.
I was at ACMA for 7 years, and I have both good and bad things to say about the school. It is a very tight knit community, and you feel as if you are a part of a family. There are plenty of artistic outlets available to students. However, the school is no longer as good as it used to be. It seems as though the teachers no longer care about the students, and administration is simply allowing students to come in without determining if they have a true passion for art. There is very little funding, and it seemed as though everything was a fire hazard. I do love the school and the memories made in it, however, major improvements need to be made to the staff and environment that the kids are surrounded by on a daily basis.
ACMA is one the most inclusive places I've ever been. Everyone is allowed to be whatever they want to be. Most of the teachers are fantastic and I'm definitely going to visit after I graduate. The school work can be both challenging and easy, mostly depending on the class and teacher. There's no dress code and we are very adamant that it stays that way. The only problems I have with it are that middle schoolers suck, it's an old school, and several of the bathroom stalls don't lock. Despite those things, I love it here and even when I had the chance to leave, I decided to stay mostly for the people.
If you're in any of the art departments--great! There are plenty of unique classes and teachers here to assist you in working on your performance in your area of focus.

The sciences are extremely limited here. Sports and physical education opportunities are practically nonexistent.
Extracurricular activities are few and far between. Unless a student is involved in music, theatre, or dance, there's little else available aside from student government and honors societies.
I was not fond of this school in the slightest during my first year here. The next year was much more pleasant due to having better teachers. The student body is intelligent and creative, yet highly argumentative and often single-minded. Overall it was a sweet & sour experience; I neither adored nor despised my experiences here.
Teachers are a mixed bag. Their teaching styles vary immensely; some go off on tangents and give in to student chatter too easily, and others command attention and manage classroom discussions with great finesse. The most passionate and dedicated teachers lead the AP classes and smaller elective classes.
Wonderful opportunities for creative students. No student sports.
Teachers are valued by their students and well liked.
Added security measures in 2016.
It was the perfect fit for my creative student.
There are a lot of opportunities to participate in the arts. Whether it be dance, choir, acting, visual art, or film, there are a lot more opportunities to showcase and contribute to art than most schools. ACMA however, has no sports, unless you count dance.
This school is a unique collection of talented individuals. They are artistic and lovely in their own way, however many artists have mental illnesses like depression. To be surrounded by all of these people with so much angst and sadness certainly effects your mental stability. It's hard to say if I would chose this cool if I had it all to do over. It's hurt me, but I've ultimately fallen in love.
There are a wide range of teachers at ACMA. Some are amazing and wonderful and truly care for each of their students. However, there are also some teachers who clearly grade unfairly, and one teacher in particular is sexist and racist at times.
Start Your Review of Arts & Communication Magnet Academy (ACMA) High School
The teachers help you when ever they can. They go above and beyond of what they need to.
my experience was unique and rewarding.
My teachers are consistent and very well reliable.